Kinematics motion - Dancers pausing at top of their leap

  • Thread starter Thread starter negation
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Kinematics Motion
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
49 replies · 7K views
TSny said:
Seems like that question is leading us aside. We have a couple of choices. We can continue your line of thinking (which is getting you pretty close to the result) or we can step back and start all over with a different approach that will lead to the answer with the least amount of calculation (for example, haruspex's method).

Which would you like to do?

I'll like to finish up with my line of reasoning.
Capture3.JPG


Then run another loop using a different method.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
OK, it's getting pretty late here where I am. But let's finish up your line of reasoning.

So, going back to ##h-h/2=.5(v_i+v_f)t##, what do you get for t after using your result for ##v_i##?

[EDIT. Oops , I see you already have done this. But you made a mistake in the algebra. h should appear in your answer for t.]
 
TSny said:
OK, it's getting pretty late here where I am. But let's finish up your line of reasoning.

So, going back to ##h-h/2=.5(v_i+v_f)t##, what do you get for t after using your result for ##v_i##?

As above

If the above is true, then, what follows is basic division and algebraic manipulation.
 
Your answer for t should contain h as well as g.
 
TSny said:
Your answer for t should contain h as well as g.

It did until I did some cancelling
 
Show the steps you used so we can identify your mistake.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
tsny said:
show the steps you used so we can identify your mistake.

Capture3.JPG
 
Good until the last line. How would you simplify ##\frac{h}{\sqrt{h}}##?
 
TSny said:
Good until the last line. How would you simplify ##\frac{h}{\sqrt{h}}##?

h.h^-0.5
 
Last edited:
TSny said:
Good until the last line. How would you simplify ##\frac{h}{\sqrt{h}}##?

above
 
Can you simplify ##h\cdot h^{-1/2}##?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
TSny said:
Can you simplify ##h\;h^{-1/2}##?

equals h^(0.5)
sqrt(h)

This is it.
 
Good. So you have shown
##\frac{h}{\sqrt{-gh}} = \frac{h}{\sqrt{-g}\;\sqrt{h}} = \frac{h}{\sqrt{-g}\;h^{1/2}} = \frac{\sqrt{h}}{\sqrt{-g}}= \sqrt{-\frac{h}{g}} ##
 
So, you have now found the time to go from 0 to h and also the time to go from h/2 to h.
 
TSny said:
So, you have now found the time to go from 0 to h and also the time to go from h/2 to h.

So it's just basic division and cancellation left.
 
TSny said:
Yes.

I'll finish it up and post it. Thanks!
 
OK. I will check tomorrow. Cheers!
 
Yes, that's the right answer.