Kinematics of Rigid Bodies in 3D

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
yoft
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Problem 15.18:
J9f4r.jpg


I've defined the positive J (fixed) axis along the pole pointing upwards and the positive X (fixed) axis going to the right, with both centered at the point of contact between the hoop and the pole, which I will refer to as point O. The rotating axes (lower case) are defined along the fixed axes at this particular moment.


Homework Equations


ω=Ω(J) + v/R(k) = Ω(j) + v/R(k)
α=(Ωv)/R(i) <-- derived from the first expression of ω
VA = VO + ω x rA/O + VA/O = v(j) - 2ΩR(k)
aA = aO + α x rA/O + ω x (ω x rA/O) + aA/O = (-2Ω2R-2v2/R)(i)


The Attempt at a Solution



My issue is that my v2/R term in my final acceleration is off by a factor of 2. I get -240 ft/s2(i) when I should be getting -216 ft/s2(i). Can anyone point me towards the step that I multiplied by 2 when I shouldn't have?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually I found the problem, I left off the 2ω x VA/O term in the acceleration formula. That adds in another V2/R term that solves my factor of 2.