Kinematics of Rigid Bodies in 3D

In summary, the conversation discusses the definitions of different axes and equations for rotational motion, as well as an issue with a calculated value that is later resolved by realizing a missing term in a formula.
yoft

Homework Statement

Problem 15.18:
J9f4r.jpg

I've defined the positive J (fixed) axis along the pole pointing upwards and the positive X (fixed) axis going to the right, with both centered at the point of contact between the hoop and the pole, which I will refer to as point O. The rotating axes (lower case) are defined along the fixed axes at this particular moment.

Homework Equations

ω=Ω(J) + v/R(k) = Ω(j) + v/R(k)
α=(Ωv)/R(i) <-- derived from the first expression of ω
VA = VO + ω x rA/O + VA/O = v(j) - 2ΩR(k)
aA = aO + α x rA/O + ω x (ω x rA/O) + aA/O = (-2Ω2R-2v2/R)(i)

The Attempt at a Solution

My issue is that my v2/R term in my final acceleration is off by a factor of 2. I get -240 ft/s2(i) when I should be getting -216 ft/s2(i). Can anyone point me towards the step that I multiplied by 2 when I shouldn't have?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually I found the problem, I left off the 2ω x VA/O term in the acceleration formula. That adds in another V2/R term that solves my factor of 2.

What is the definition of kinematics of rigid bodies in 3D?

Kinematics of rigid bodies in 3D is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of solid objects in three-dimensional space. It involves studying the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

What are the three types of motion in kinematics of rigid bodies in 3D?

The three types of motion in kinematics of rigid bodies in 3D are translational motion, rotational motion, and general plane motion. Translational motion involves the linear movement of an object, rotational motion involves the spinning or turning of an object, and general plane motion involves a combination of both translational and rotational motion.

What is the difference between kinematics of rigid bodies in 3D and kinematics of particles?

Kinematics of rigid bodies in 3D deals with the motion of solid objects, while kinematics of particles deals with the motion of individual particles or points. In kinematics of rigid bodies, the entire object is considered to be moving, while in kinematics of particles, the individual points or particles making up the object are studied.

What are the four essential kinematic equations for rigid bodies in 3D?

The four essential kinematic equations for rigid bodies in 3D are the equations for position, velocity, acceleration, and angular velocity. These equations relate the motion of the rigid body to time and allow for the calculation of various kinematic quantities.

What are some real-world applications of kinematics of rigid bodies in 3D?

Kinematics of rigid bodies in 3D has many real-world applications, including robotics, animation, and engineering design. It is also used in the study of the motion of celestial bodies, such as planets and satellites, and in the analysis of sports movements, such as the trajectory of a basketball or baseball.