1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rolling without slipping & linear acceleration vector

1. Feb 14, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Rolling without slipping

A) Derive the linear acceleration vector equations for points A, B, C, and O in terms of R, ω, α and θ at this instant.

B) R = 0.5 m, ω=-54 r/s and α = 0. Determine the MPH of the vehicle and the vector accelerations of points A, B, C, and O.

C) R = 0.5 m, ω=-54 r/s and α = +4.9 rad/sec/sec. Find the magnitude and direction of the acceleration of points O & C.

D) R = 0.5 m, ω=-54 r/s and α = +4.9 rad/sec/sec. Determine the magnitude and direction of the acceleration of the vehicle in "g" units and how long it would take to stop.

media-f53-f537a8aa-70c1-4eab-86cd-d6b687139ba8-phpuy2kkq.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    A)
    AA = R α j + Rc (-ω2 R) i
    AB = 2 R α i + ω2 R j
    AO = R α i
    AC = ω2 R j

B)
    V = R ω
    V = 0.5 x 54
    = 27 m/s
    = 60.4 mph

AA = -ω2 R = -1458 i m/s2
    AB = - 1458 j
    AO = 0
    AC = 1458 j

C)
    At O AO = R α i ⇒ 0.5 x 4.9 = 2.45 i m/s2
    At C AC = 1458 j

D)
    A = R α
    = 2.45 m/s2

A = 0.25 g

t= ω/α
    t= 11.02 s

The above was my attempt. Am I on the right track? Or am I doing this wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I disagree with several of your answers in part A. (What is RC?) Haven't looked beyond that.
    I think the easiest way is to write a vector expression for the location of a point on the circumference in terms of the location of the centre and an angle theta (i.e. theta =0 would be point A, etc.) then differentiate as necessary.

4. Feb 14, 2016 #3
    Thank you.

So, if i wrote a general velocity vector equation for any point on the periphery of the wheel

Vp = Vo + ω X Rop

By differentiating so
    AA = AC + ω × (ω × RAC) + α × RAC

5. Feb 14, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Close, but I think you have some sign errors. It's a bit confusing because if omega is positive then v0 is negative, etc.

6. Feb 14, 2016 #5
    Thank

I am sorry but why would a positive omega means a negative VO ?

7. Feb 14, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

According to the diagram, theta is measured anticlockwise, so a positive omega would mean rolling to the left. The x axis is positive to the right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted