Kinematics using vector analysis

In summary, the conversation is discussing a solution to a problem involving velocities and a fixed point, D. The person is confused about why the velocity of D only has an i component and not a j component, and why it is not zero since it is a fixed point. The other person explains that D is a fixed point because it is at the end of CD and must move along the circle with center C, and at the time shown, CD is vertical so the tangent vector to the circle is horizontal.
yugeci

Homework Statement

4e9b23fa04e6e173e3f349493846bf58.png

Homework Equations

Va = Vb + Va/b
Va = Vb + (wab x ra/b)

The Attempt at a Solution

OK so here is part of my solution:

e86f179e151f512dd5808025f06a411c.png

My velocity for B is correct according to the book. But I'm confused about D. The only problem here is that the velocity of D only has an i component, no j component. How do we know that and why is that? Also, how come the velocity of D isn't zero since it's a fixed point?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think that D is a fixed point? At the time shown, D is at the end of CD and must move along the circle with center C since CD pivots about C. At the time shown, CD is vertical so the tangent vector to the circle is horizontal at that time.

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the causes of the motion. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects and how they change over time.

2. How is vector analysis used in kinematics?

Vector analysis is used in kinematics to describe the motion of an object in terms of its position, velocity, and acceleration vectors. These vectors provide information about the magnitude and direction of an object's motion.

3. What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities in kinematics?

Scalar quantities in kinematics are measurements that have only magnitude, such as distance or speed. Vector quantities have both magnitude and direction, such as displacement or velocity.

4. What are some common equations used in kinematics using vector analysis?

Some common equations used in kinematics include the equations for displacement (Δx = xf - xi), velocity (v = Δx/Δt), and acceleration (a = Δv/Δt).

5. How is kinematics used in real-world applications?

Kinematics is used in many real-world applications, such as designing cars and airplanes, analyzing the motion of athletes in sports, and predicting the motion of planets and other celestial bodies. It is also used in fields like robotics, animation, and video game design.