1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics w/ Constant Acceleration

1. Aug 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle moves along the s-direction with constant acceleration. The displacement, measured from a convenient position, is 2m when t = 0 and is zero when t = 10s. If the velocity is momentarily zero when t = 6s, determine the acceleration a and the velocity v when t = 10s

2. Relevant equations

I tried finding plotting s vs. t and then trying to get an equation of the line, but that led me nowhere. Taking its derivative didnt help. I also looked at the formulas for constant acceleration but didnt know how to apply them. The fact that the velocity is momentarily zero at t = 6 means that the slope of my s vs. t plot is zero for that portion right?

3. The attempt at a solution

Equation of line: slope m = 0.5t
    s = 0.5t + 2

Second attempt: s = s_0 + (v_0)t + 0.5at^2

s = 0, s_0 = 2

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2008 #2

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

aznkid310 wrote: "The fact that the velocity is momentarily zero at t = 6 means the slope of my s versus t plot is zero [at t = 6], right?"

Correct. v = ds/dt; therefore, if v(6) = 0, it means the instantaneous slope of the s versus t plot is zero at t = 6. But don't worry about plotting s versus t right now.

(1) Given (known).
    s0 = 2.
    s = 0 at t = 10.
    v = 0 at t = 6.
    Find a and v at t = 10.

(2) Relevant equations.
    s = s0 + v0*t + 0.5*a*t^2.
    v = v0 + a*t.

(3) Hint: Use the above relevant equations, and the above given conditions, to first solve simultaneously for v0.

4. Aug 15, 2008 #3
    1) s = 2 + v0*t + 0.5*a*t^2

2) v(6) = v0 + a(6) = 0
    a = -v0/6

3) s = 2 + v0*t + 0.5*(-v0/6)*t^2

4) At t = 10s: 0 = 2 + 10(v0) + ([-100*v0]/12)

v0 = -1.2 m/s

5) v = v0 + a*t = -1.2 +a*t

6) At t = 6s: 0 = -1.2 + 6a

a = 0.2 m/s^2

7) v = -1.2 + 0.2t

8) At t = 10s: v = -1.2 +0.2*10

v = 0.8 m/s

Is this correct?
    How did you know to solve for v0 first?

5. Aug 16, 2008 #4

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You did excellent work, aznkid310. That's correct.

How did I know to solve for v0 first? More or less, by trial and error. I just started plugging each given (known) condition into the various constant-acceleration kinematics formulas (experimenting, trying, investigating, retrying), to see what I would get and to see what is still unknown. I ended up with two acceptable-looking equations and two unknowns; so I knew I could at least go ahead and solve for those two unknowns, which I thought might help lead to a solution. Afterwards, computing v became straightforward.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?