Kinetic energy and potential energy relationship

In summary: No, I didn't answer the question myself. I was giving a hint.In summary, the equation states that the kinetic energy is equal to the potential energy when the centripetal force is provided by the electrostatic force of attraction.
gracy
I know,kinetic energy=##\frac{1}{2}####mv^2##
But I saw one other equation it is
kinetic energy=##\frac{1}{2}####|P.E|##
Then I started looking for in which specific condition is it true?Because I know it is not always applicable .But I could not find that particular condition when it is true.So my question is kinetic energy=##\frac{1}{2}####|P.E|## when and how?Please give me hints.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You will have to be more complete in your description. What is your system, is it a particle, a point charge, an electric dipole, etc. Then you should specify what the quantities are in your expression. What is P, what is E, are they vectors, scalars, etc.

Where did you see the equation

See "Virial theorem" for a general answer and the conditions necessary for this to apply.
If you show more context, maybe we can discuss some specifics.

Seems that "P.E" is supposed to be "P.E.", i.e. potential energy.
For an orbiting body mass m in the gravitational field of a body mass M, P.E. is taken to be 0 at infinity, so the P.E. at radius r is negative:
##P.E.=-\frac{GMm}r##.
The speed, v, must be such that the centripetal force keeps it in orbit:
##\frac {mv^2}r = \frac{GMm}{r^2}##
The K.E. is ##\frac 12 mv^2##.
Combining these gives K.E. = -P.E./2.

But I am leaning electrostatic field and potential nowadays.I saw this equation there only.But yes,it does talk about gravitational force .The condition described there is that "the centripetal force is provided by the electrostatic force of attraction".

So no other cases in which this
K.E. = |P.E./2|.
is true.

gracy said:
K.E. = |P.E./2|.
is true.
No doubt other cases could be constructed, but that is the one that comes to mind.
It would extend at least to orbits driven by any inverse square law of attraction, so would include a negative charge orbiting a positive one.
Note also that it only applies to bodies in circular orbits. Otherwise the two energies are varying with a constant sum, which would clearly break this relationship.

Likes gracy
gracy said:
K.E. = |P.E./2|.
is true.
haruspex above is quite right. Also, the same result holds for electrostatics too, which is where gracy says she has seen it. The same result that holds for the gravitational force will also hold for the electrostatic force, for example, in the classical model of a hydrogen atom, where the electron orbits around the proton. Here too, the potential energy is - Ke2 /r, where K = 1/4πε0 and the kinetic energy will similarly work out to be K.E = - P.E/2. The algebra in both cases, gravitational and electrostatic, is identical.

haruspex said:
inverse square law of attraction
and what about inverse square law of repulsion?

gracy said:
and what about inverse square law of repulsion?
How would that lead to a stable orbit?

Likes gracy
So ,basically there should be a body in circular orbit around the other body (so two bodies)driven by any inverse square law of attraction
These are the two conditions for this rule to follow
K.E. = |P.E./2|.
One more thing I would like to ask what if there are more than two bodies involved?

gracy said:
One more thing I would like to ask what if there are more than two bodies involved?
How will you define P.E. of a given body in this case? It will depend on the positions of the other two.

Likes gracy
haruspex said:
How will you define P.E. of a given body in this case?
haruspex said:
It will depend on the positions of the other two.
Did you answer the question yourself?Or you were only giving me a hint.

gracy said:
Did you answer the question yourself?Or you were only giving me a hint.
I'm saying I don't see how you could say anything equivalent to that equation when there are three bodies.
The 'three body problem' is a classic in mechanics. There is no general analytic solution.

Likes gracy
Ok.Actually I don't have in depth knowledge in this.My teacher says you don't need to go in much detail.So,you are saying that equation is not applicable in case of more than 2 bodies.

gracy said:
Ok.Actually I don't have in depth knowledge in this.My teacher says you don't need to go in much detail.So,you are saying that equation is not applicable in case of more than 2 bodies.
Yes.

Likes gracy
In the case of a system of many bodies a more general relationship exists, however.
If the system is stable and bound by potential forces (like gravity or electrostatic), the average over time of the total KE and PE satisfy the same relationship.
## KE_{ave}=\frac{1}{2} PE_{ave} ##
Even for potentials with other dependence of distance (not 1/r but 1/r^n) there is a similar relationship, but the fraction is some other number and not 1/2.
If you are interested in more details you can see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virial_theorem
or other sites about virial theorem.

You don't need for high school level problems, though.
But it may help to see a little of the bigger picture.

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object.

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position or state. It can be converted into kinetic energy when the object moves.

How are kinetic energy and potential energy related?

Kinetic energy and potential energy are two forms of energy that are related by the principle of conservation of energy. As an object moves from a higher position to a lower position, its potential energy decreases and its kinetic energy increases. At the same time, as an object moves from a lower position to a higher position, its potential energy increases and its kinetic energy decreases.

What is the formula for calculating kinetic energy?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity of the object.

Can potential energy be negative?

Yes, potential energy can be negative. This occurs when the reference point for calculating potential energy is chosen arbitrarily and the object has less potential energy than the reference point. However, this does not change the relationship between kinetic energy and potential energy, as the total energy of the system remains constant.