Kinetic Energy of Rotating Cone: Correct?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 1K views
Gabriele Pinna
Messages
14
Reaction score
1
I would like to fine the kinetic energy of a cone that rotates around its symmetry axis.
I consider that the cone is formes by infinite cylinders with different radius and infinitesimal height. I end up with this result:
K=1/4w^2R^2hM
where w is the angular velocity R the radius h the height and M the mass of the cone.
Could you please tell me wheter or not this is correct ?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gabriele Pinna said:
I would like to fine the kinetic energy of a cone that rotates around its symmetry axis.
I consider that the cone is formes by infinite cylinders with different radius and infinitesimal height. I end up with this result:
K=3/28R^4Mw^2
where w is the angular velocity R the radius h the height and M the mass of the cone.
Could you please tell me wheter or not this is correct ?
You can check your value of I for a cone here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moments_of_inertia
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Gabriele Pinna
The OP deleted their original question out of Post #1 after I replied (which is not allowed per the PF rules). The original post is restored, and the thread will remain closed.