Kittel: possible states of magnetic

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Aziza
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Magnetic States
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
Aziza
Messages
189
Reaction score
1
I do not understand the attached picture excerpt from Kittel Thermal Physics (first sentence up to 'eqn' (7) ).

I would expect the moments to go down in increments of one, not two. I think the subsequent paragraph tries to explain why, although I am not sure this is indeed the purpose. Could anyone please shed some light on this horribly explained section?

Thanks!
 
Attachments
  • kittel_15.jpg
    kittel_15.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 506
Physics news on Phys.org
Is it maybe because when you flip a magnet you lose a north and also gain a south? If you just took one away it would decrease by one but you took away a north and added a south.
 
It's not horribly explained. Try arranging 2 magnets in a way that the net moment is +1. Their either combine to +/- 2 (NN, SS) or cancel to 0 (NS, SN). You can't get odd multiples.