1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kittel: possible states of magnetic

1. Dec 14, 2013 #1
    I do not understand the attached picture excerpt from Kittel Thermal Physics (first sentence up to 'eqn' (7) ).

I would expect the moments to go down in increments of one, not two. I think the subsequent paragraph tries to explain why, although I am not sure this is indeed the purpose. Could anyone please shed some light on this horribly explained section?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2013 #2
    Is it maybe because when you flip a magnet you lose a north and also gain a south? If you just took one away it would decrease by one but you took away a north and added a south.

4. Dec 15, 2013 #3
    It's not horribly explained. Try arranging 2 magnets in a way that the net moment is +1. Their either combine to +/- 2 (NN, SS) or cancel to 0 (NS, SN). You can't get odd multiples.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook