Kleppner and Kolenkow - Pulleys

In summary, the problem involves two masses connected by a system of strings and pulleys, with the task of finding the acceleration of one of the masses. The solution involves taking into account the masslessness and frictionlessness of the pulleys and using the tensions in the strings to solve for the acceleration. There is a discussion about the approach to the problem and the possibility of the reasoning not applying in this specific situation, with a request for guidance.
jgens
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Masses M1 and M2 are connected to a system of strings and pulleys as shown. The strings are massless and inextensible, and the pulleys are massless and frictionless. Find the acceleration of M1.

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/3758/cimg0572.jpg

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I've reasoned that since the pulley is massless, the net force acting on it must be zero (otherwise the acceleration would be infinitely large). I could then use the tensions in the strings to arrive at an answer for the acceleration of M1, but I'm not sure that my reasoning really applies here. Could someone please offer some guidance?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This was falling towards the bottom of the page, so I just wanted to bump it before it actually fell off.

Hi, did you ever get a solution or an approach to this problem? I am also working on the same one right now and am stuck on it...

What is the book "Kleppner and Kolenkow - Pulleys" about?

The book "Kleppner and Kolenkow - Pulleys" is a physics textbook that focuses on the topic of pulleys and their applications. It covers concepts such as tension, equilibrium, and mechanical advantage in relation to pulley systems.

Who are the authors of "Kleppner and Kolenkow - Pulleys"?

The authors of "Kleppner and Kolenkow - Pulleys" are Daniel Kleppner and Robert Kolenkow. Kleppner was a renowned physicist and educator at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), while Kolenkow was a professor of physics at the same institution.

Is "Kleppner and Kolenkow - Pulleys" suitable for beginners in physics?

Yes, "Kleppner and Kolenkow - Pulleys" is suitable for beginners in physics. The book starts with the basics of classical mechanics and gradually introduces more advanced concepts, making it accessible for students with little to no prior knowledge of physics.

Does "Kleppner and Kolenkow - Pulleys" include practical examples and problems?

Yes, "Kleppner and Kolenkow - Pulleys" includes numerous practical examples and problems to help readers understand and apply the concepts discussed in the book. These examples and problems range from simple to complex, allowing readers to practice and improve their understanding of pulleys.

Can "Kleppner and Kolenkow - Pulleys" be used as a reference book?

Yes, "Kleppner and Kolenkow - Pulleys" can be used as a reference book for individuals interested in the physics of pulleys. It provides a comprehensive overview of the topic and includes detailed explanations and diagrams, making it a valuable resource for both students and professionals.