What are the best exercises for strengthening knees for runners?

• Thread starter The_Professional
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercise
In summary, after reading through a few articles on strengthening the knees, the author found that weightlifting and traditional aerobic exercises are both beneficial. They also suggest lunges, squats, and leg lifts as exercises to try.
The_Professional
I've looked through Google and can't seem to find a good site on strengthening the knees. I run a lot on the treadmill so any suggestions are appreciated as well.

Thank you

Biology news on Phys.org
I'd be interested in this as well. After a few k's on the treadmill, I actually start limping, but I'm not in any pain or anything. I wasn't conscious of it for ages until I was at the gym with a friend and when I got off they asked me what was wrong with my knee.

One technique I used to do is I'd lean my back against the wall in a sitting position and hold that for 2-3 minutes. And do 3 sets of it

Wow, I just answered my own question. Can I get an award/medal/plaque?

Maybe not an award, but I'll send you a meat tray. :)

My knees have benefited since I started step workouts (5 years ago). Stepping is easier on your knees than running (the impact is not nearly as jarring.)

I use the step twice a week, run once a week, and do traditional aerobics twice a week, including weight training segments for both arms and legs. I've worked up to a lot of weight on the ankles (17 pounds each leg) for the weight portion of the workouts. This buildup was over a two year period, adding another pound every month about. (The weights are because of the "Strong women stay young" books that show how weights benefit bone density for women.)

I think the "cross training" has benefited not only my knees, but also I don't get shin splints anymore, and my arches are better off than they used to be.

Step aerobics aren't really en vogue at the moment, but I've benefited from them. I'm sure the weights are responsible for part of the improvement in knee strength, too.

OMG :cry:

Strength, Strength... The wise man/woman prefers more subtle things...

I have had an arthroscopy on my knee and I can give you the strenghening excercising that I used before and after and continue to do today (about 8 months from the surgery.) Leg lifts may seem like they are a feminine pilates routine, but they actually strengten the smaller stabilizing muscles that one needs in order to endure all the tremendous stresses during running and jumping. Leg lifts can be done by laying flat on the ground, raising one leg up without bending the knee, keeping your toes straight out as if you are pointing at someone in front of you with your toes. Lift the leg about 6-12 inches from the ground until your leg begins to burn, rest for a minute and repeat about 4 times. Perform on both legs.
Squats are also good, without weights at first and very slowly with control.
Lunges are also good.
Isometric strentening (basically holding yourself in a position while your muscles contract.

A 70 kilogram man walks around 3 kilometers/day. Suppose that a step is 1 meter thus the man is doing 3000 steps/day.

if he walks with arms crossed on chest thus we have =>

a knee suffers per day
3000*70*2 = 420 000 kg/day = 420 tons(*2 because action/reaction)

if he walks with arm balancing then we have

3000*70*2*0.5 = 210 000 kg/day = 210 tons(*2 because action/reaction and 0.5 because arms decreases load)

A single day is far, far from your exercises... :wink:

Our job is to decrease the load and avoid isometric strengthening that creates osteoarthritis...

somasimple said:
Our job is to decrease the load and avoid isometric strengthening that creates osteoarthritis...

The isometric strenghening that you are speaking of is far different from the one I am speaking of. I believe you are basically talking about avoiding to stand upright. That is different than remaining in an isometric squat position or other stances that promote leg strengthening.

Hi,

Studies have shown that isometric contraction aren't anymore on the tune and promote problems.

I may say that I let down the isometric contraction/squat since...10 years.

Motion is Lotion

1. What are the benefits of knee strengthening exercises?

Knee strengthening exercises can help improve the strength and stability of your knee joint, which can reduce the risk of injury and pain. They also help to maintain or improve range of motion and flexibility in the knee, which is important for daily activities and sports performance.

2. What types of exercises are best for strengthening the knee?

Exercises that target the muscles surrounding the knee joint, such as the quadriceps, hamstrings, and glutes, are best for strengthening the knee. Examples include squats, lunges, leg presses, and step-ups. Low-impact exercises like cycling and swimming can also be beneficial.

3. How often should knee strengthening exercises be done?

The frequency of knee strengthening exercises can vary depending on individual needs and goals. However, it is generally recommended to do these exercises 2-3 times per week, with at least one day of rest in between sessions to allow for muscle recovery.

4. Can knee strengthening exercises help with knee pain?

Yes, knee strengthening exercises can help alleviate knee pain by improving the stability and strength of the joint. However, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any exercise program if you are experiencing persistent or severe knee pain.

5. Are there any precautions to keep in mind when doing knee strengthening exercises?

It is important to pay attention to proper form and technique when performing knee strengthening exercises to avoid injury. Also, if you have a history of knee injuries or any underlying medical conditions, it is best to consult with a healthcare professional before beginning any new exercise program.