Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Heart Rate Jumps While Exercising

1. Mar 13, 2015 #1
    Hey fellas and ladies.

So I have an issue. I've been exercising regularly for about 3 months now by doing jogging and brisk walking. Just basic cardio to get my terrible heart into shape. The thing is, I can't jog for very long at all without my heart rate jumping up to 170-180+. I know this because of a heart rate monitor I wear.

I try to breath well as I jog so avoid this, and I generally exercise on an empty stomach, so I don't know what's causing the jump. I really want to move on from mostly brisk walking to something a bit more difficult, but I've been told by others if my heart rate gets that high it turns my exercise into anaerobic. Which I believe because jogging too long gives me cramps and I'm out of breath really quick.

I'm going to see a doctor about it if it can't resolve itself with either better breathing or more hydration, but was wondering if there's anything you folks had experience with to remedy this. Thanks :D

TLDR; Heart rate sky-rockets when jogging. What do?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2015 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm glad to hear you plan to see a doctor about this. It could be something very serious.

But, sorry, it's against PF policy to give diagnosis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook