Heart Rate Jumps While Exercising

• Medical
  • Thread starter Cake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heart Rate
In summary, a person is seeking advice for their high heart rate while jogging and is planning to see a doctor about it. They have been told that a high heart rate can turn their exercise into anaerobic, causing cramps and difficulty breathing. They are looking for any tips or remedies from others who may have experienced similar issues.
Cake
Hey fellas and ladies.

So I have an issue. I've been exercising regularly for about 3 months now by doing jogging and brisk walking. Just basic cardio to get my terrible heart into shape. The thing is, I can't jog for very long at all without my heart rate jumping up to 170-180+. I know this because of a heart rate monitor I wear.

I try to breath well as I jog so avoid this, and I generally exercise on an empty stomach, so I don't know what's causing the jump. I really want to move on from mostly brisk walking to something a bit more difficult, but I've been told by others if my heart rate gets that high it turns my exercise into anaerobic. Which I believe because jogging too long gives me cramps and I'm out of breath really quick.

I'm going to see a doctor about it if it can't resolve itself with either better breathing or more hydration, but was wondering if there's anything you folks had experience with to remedy this. Thanks :D

TLDR; Heart rate sky-rockets when jogging. What do?

Biology news on Phys.org
I'm glad to hear you plan to see a doctor about this. It could be something very serious.

But, sorry, it's against PF policy to give diagnosis.

1. What is considered a normal heart rate jump while exercising?

A normal heart rate jump while exercising can vary depending on age and fitness level. However, on average, a heart rate increase of 20-30 beats per minute is considered normal.

2. Is it normal for my heart rate to jump quickly during exercise?

Yes, it is normal for your heart rate to jump quickly during exercise as your body is working to supply oxygen and nutrients to your muscles. This can cause a temporary increase in heart rate.

3. Why does my heart rate jump while exercising?

When you exercise, your muscles require more oxygen and nutrients to keep up with the demand. In response, your heart pumps more blood to deliver these essential elements, causing your heart rate to jump.

4. Is a higher heart rate jump during exercise better?

A higher heart rate jump during exercise does not necessarily indicate a better workout. It is important to listen to your body and not push yourself beyond your limits. Generally, a moderate heart rate jump is recommended for safe and effective exercise.

5. Should I be concerned if my heart rate jumps too high while exercising?

If your heart rate jumps to a very high level during exercise and you experience symptoms such as dizziness, chest pain, or shortness of breath, it is important to slow down and consult a doctor. It is also important to listen to your body and not push yourself too hard during exercise.