1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Komar mass of Schwarzschild

1. May 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The Komar mass of a Schwarzschild geometry can be written as [itex]\frac{1}{4\pi}\int_{S}n^{\alpha}\sigma_{\beta} \nabla_{\alpha} \xi^{\beta}dA[/itex], where [itex]n^{\alpha}[/itex] and [itex]\sigma_{\beta}[/itex] are timelike and spacelike normal vectors respectively. How does one actually go about evaluating this integral?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've simplified it down to [itex]\frac{1}{4\pi}\int_{S}n^{\alpha}\sigma_{\beta} \Gamma^{\beta}_{\alpha t} dA[/itex] but I have no idea how to continue from there. Wouldn't [itex]n^{\alpha}\sigma_{\beta}[/itex] be zero since they are orthogonal? Also, what is dA? I know it includes factors from the metric but which ones?

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2012 #2
    It's the surface element of the 2-surface you defined, [itex] dA = \sqrt{g^{(2)}} d^2x [/itex] where [itex]g^{(2)}[/itex] is the determinant of induced metric on this surface.

So in Schwarzschild, I can choose my vectors n and σ in the obvious way, normalizing them to n2=-1, σ2=+1,
    [tex] n = (-\sqrt{1-\frac{2M}{r}}, 0, 0, 0) [/tex]
    [tex] \sigma = (0, \sqrt{1-\frac{2M}{r}}^{-1}, 0, 0) [/tex]
    Then the 2-surface is just a sphere, with [itex] \sqrt{-g^{(2)}} = r^2 \sin(\theta) [/itex], [itex] dA = r^2 d\Omega [/itex], so I get
    [tex] I = \frac{1}{4\pi}\int_{S}n^{\alpha}\sigma_{\beta} \Gamma^{\beta}_{\alpha t} dA = \frac{1}{4\pi}\int_{S}n^{t} g_{rr} \sigma^{r} \Gamma^{r}_{t t} dA = \frac{1}{4\pi}\int_{S} -\sqrt{1-\frac{2M}{r}}(1-\frac{2M}{r})^{-1}(1-\frac{2M}{r})^{-1/2} \frac{M}{r^2} (1-\frac{2M}{r}) dA
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    = -\frac{1}{4\pi}\int_{S} \frac{M}{r^2} r^2 d\Omega = -\frac{M}{4\pi}\int_S d\Omega = -M
    [/tex]
    So maybe there's a sign wrong somewhere, or something, but otherwise it goes like that :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook