Komar mass of Schwarzschild

In summary, the Komar mass of a Schwarzschild geometry can be evaluated by choosing appropriate timelike and spacelike normal vectors and using the surface element of the 2-surface defined by these vectors. This results in a value of -M.
mongolianbeef

Homework Statement

The Komar mass of a Schwarzschild geometry can be written as [itex]\frac{1}{4\pi}\int_{S}n^{\alpha}\sigma_{\beta} \nabla_{\alpha} \xi^{\beta}dA[/itex], where [itex]n^{\alpha}[/itex] and [itex]\sigma_{\beta}[/itex] are timelike and spacelike normal vectors respectively. How does one actually go about evaluating this integral?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've simplified it down to [itex]\frac{1}{4\pi}\int_{S}n^{\alpha}\sigma_{\beta} \Gamma^{\beta}_{\alpha t} dA[/itex] but I have no idea how to continue from there. Wouldn't [itex]n^{\alpha}\sigma_{\beta}[/itex] be zero since they are orthogonal? Also, what is dA? I know it includes factors from the metric but which ones?

Physics news on Phys.org
mongolianbeef said:
Also, what is dA? I know it includes factors from the metric but which ones?
It's the surface element of the 2-surface you defined, [itex] dA = \sqrt{g^{(2)}} d^2x [/itex] where [itex]g^{(2)}[/itex] is the determinant of induced metric on this surface.

mongolianbeef said:
How does one actually go about evaluating this integral?

So in Schwarzschild, I can choose my vectors n and σ in the obvious way, normalizing them to n2=-1, σ2=+1,
[tex] n = (-\sqrt{1-\frac{2M}{r}}, 0, 0, 0) [/tex]
[tex] \sigma = (0, \sqrt{1-\frac{2M}{r}}^{-1}, 0, 0) [/tex]
Then the 2-surface is just a sphere, with [itex] \sqrt{-g^{(2)}} = r^2 \sin(\theta) [/itex], [itex] dA = r^2 d\Omega [/itex], so I get
[tex] I = \frac{1}{4\pi}\int_{S}n^{\alpha}\sigma_{\beta} \Gamma^{\beta}_{\alpha t} dA = \frac{1}{4\pi}\int_{S}n^{t} g_{rr} \sigma^{r} \Gamma^{r}_{t t} dA = \frac{1}{4\pi}\int_{S} -\sqrt{1-\frac{2M}{r}}(1-\frac{2M}{r})^{-1}(1-\frac{2M}{r})^{-1/2} \frac{M}{r^2} (1-\frac{2M}{r}) dA
[/tex]
[tex]
= -\frac{1}{4\pi}\int_{S} \frac{M}{r^2} r^2 d\Omega = -\frac{M}{4\pi}\int_S d\Omega = -M
[/tex]
So maybe there's a sign wrong somewhere, or something, but otherwise it goes like that :)

1. What is the Komar mass of Schwarzschild?

The Komar mass of Schwarzschild is a measure of the total gravitational energy contained within the event horizon of a non-rotating black hole.

2. How is the Komar mass of Schwarzschild calculated?

The Komar mass of Schwarzschild is calculated using the Komar integral, which integrates the components of the stress-energy tensor over a closed surface surrounding the black hole.

3. What does the Komar mass of Schwarzschild tell us about a black hole?

The Komar mass of Schwarzschild is a measure of the black hole's gravitational energy, which is an important factor in understanding its overall effect on the surrounding spacetime.

4. How does the Komar mass of Schwarzschild differ from the Schwarzschild mass?

The Komar mass of Schwarzschild takes into account the effects of the black hole's gravitational energy, while the Schwarzschild mass only considers its mass as seen from afar. As a result, the Komar mass is typically larger than the Schwarzschild mass.

5. Can the Komar mass of Schwarzschild be measured?

No, the Komar mass of Schwarzschild is a theoretical concept and cannot be measured directly. However, it can be calculated using the Komar integral and other measurements, such as the black hole's mass and spin, can provide useful information about its properties.