1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kp problem with total pressure given

1. Nov 15, 2009 #1
    For the equilibrium shown below, Kp = 0.20 at 298K
    PCl5(g) <--> PCl (g) + Cl2 (g)
    A certain amount of PCl5 is added to a 1.0-L flask. When equilibrium is reached, the total pressure in the flask is 3.00atm. What is the initial pressure of PCl5 in the flask?

If someone could point me in the right direction I'm having extreme difficulty even starting the problem, in class we haven't gone over anything like this
    Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Do you know how to use ICE tables?

Basically use stoichiometry of the raction to combine amounts of the substances present at equilibrium with total amount and Kp.

--

4. Nov 15, 2009 #3
    we have done ICE tables but for this reaction none of the initials are given how would I find them with the given information?

5. Nov 15, 2009 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You will have two variables - x (as usually in ICE tables) that refers to the amount of substances that reacted, and y - which is initial amount of PCl5. Everything else is initially at 0.

Trick is - this is not enough information to solve, but amounts of substance - when combined with known volume, temperature and pressure - will give you second equation. That means two equations in two unknowns.

--
    methods

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook