1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

L' Hospital's Rule Application

1. Dec 10, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{xe^2x+xe^x-2e^2x+2e^x}{(e^x-1)^3}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    L' Hospital's Rule
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}= \lim_{x\rightarrow\0} \frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Phew, I think my hold on the latex codes are solid now, thanks Status. Okay, here's what I've worked so far, and where I'm stuck at.

Just as Hosp. Rule says, I found the derivative of the numerator and denominator functions seperately by using the chain rule:

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{e^2x(2x+1)+e^x(x+1)-4e^2x+2e^x}{(3e^x)(e^x-1)^2}[/tex]

I noticed that the function was still indeterminate due to the denominator going to 0, so I found the derivatives of the numerator and denominator again;

But my result showed that the denominator went to 0 again because its dervivative is:

[tex] 3e^x(e^x-1)(3e^x-1)[/tex]

I must be doing something wrong.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

You'll eventually get there, but it'll take a few times going through the process. You can make the algebra alot easier if you make the substitution u=e^x (so that the limit is now as u->1).

4. Dec 10, 2006 #3
    I did it quickly, so my answer might be off, but keep doing L'Hopital's rule until you get a proper answer.

(I got [tex]\frac{1}{6}[/tex], by the way.

Basically, just keep differentiating until you get rid of the 1 in the [tex]e^{x}-1[/tex] bracket, as then you'll get a proper answer.

5. Dec 10, 2006 #4
    Jeez again, man our teacher is really making us grind out these calculations...well okay thank you fellas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?