L' Hospital's Rule Application

• Thread starter carmen77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Application
In summary, the problem requires the use of L'Hospital's Rule to evaluate the limit as x approaches 0. After finding the derivative of both the numerator and denominator, the function is still indeterminate. By making the substitution u=e^x, the limit becomes as u approaches 1. Continuing to differentiate, the proper answer is found to be 1/6. The key is to differentiate until the 1 in the e^x-1 bracket is eliminated.
carmen77

Homework Statement

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{xe^2x+xe^x-2e^2x+2e^x}{(e^x-1)^3}[/tex]

Homework Equations

L' Hospital's Rule
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}= \lim_{x\rightarrow\0} \frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Phew, I think my hold on the latex codes are solid now, thanks Status. Okay, here's what I've worked so far, and where I'm stuck at.

Just as Hosp. Rule says, I found the derivative of the numerator and denominator functions seperately by using the chain rule:

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{e^2x(2x+1)+e^x(x+1)-4e^2x+2e^x}{(3e^x)(e^x-1)^2}[/tex]

I noticed that the function was still indeterminate due to the denominator going to 0, so I found the derivatives of the numerator and denominator again;

But my result showed that the denominator went to 0 again because its dervivative is:

[tex] 3e^x(e^x-1)(3e^x-1)[/tex]

I must be doing something wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You'll eventually get there, but it'll take a few times going through the process. You can make the algebra a lot easier if you make the substitution u=e^x (so that the limit is now as u->1).

I did it quickly, so my answer might be off, but keep doing L'Hopital's rule until you get a proper answer.

(I got [tex]\frac{1}{6}[/tex], by the way.

Basically, just keep differentiating until you get rid of the 1 in the [tex]e^{x}-1[/tex] bracket, as then you'll get a proper answer.

Jeez again, man our teacher is really making us grind out these calculations...well okay thank you fellas.

1. What is L'Hospital's Rule?

L'Hospital's Rule is a mathematical theorem used to evaluate limits of indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It states that for certain types of functions, the limit of the quotient of two functions is equal to the limit of the quotient of their derivatives.

2. When should L'Hospital's Rule be used?

L'Hospital's Rule should be used when evaluating limits that result in indeterminate forms and when traditional algebraic methods, such as factoring or simplifying, do not work.

3. What are the conditions for applying L'Hospital's Rule?

The conditions for applying L'Hospital's Rule are that the functions involved must be differentiable in a neighborhood of the limit point, the limit of the denominator must not equal 0, and the limit of the quotient of the derivatives must exist or be infinite.

4. How do you use L'Hospital's Rule to find the limit of a function?

To use L'Hospital's Rule, you first evaluate the limit of the quotient of the derivatives of the numerator and denominator. If the limit exists or is infinite, then it is equal to the limit of the original function. If the limit does not exist, the rule cannot be applied and other methods must be used to evaluate the limit.

5. Are there any limitations to L'Hospital's Rule?

Yes, L'Hospital's Rule is only applicable to certain types of indeterminate forms and does not work for all limits. It also cannot be used to evaluate limits at infinity or to determine whether a limit exists or not.