Lab Report: Significance of Protein Tests

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
jdawg
Messages
366
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


Hi! So I'm trying to write a lab report about testing BSA solutions for protein concentrations using a Biuret reagent and a spectrophotometer. There is a portion that asks you to give some practical applications for this test and how it applies to biology. The only thing I could think of for the practical applications was measuring protein concentrations for nutritional purposes. And of course all living things contain proteins, right? So that's how it applies to biology, but I'm having some difficulty expanding on that.

If someone could give me some cool ideas on different applications (maybe relating to DNA somehow?) and maybe some good reading material on its relevance to biology I would greatly appreciate it.

While trying to search for the importance of protein tests regarding DNA, I read something about the purity of nucleic acids (or purity of DNA?). What do they mean exactly by the "purity " of DNA?

Sorry if I'm interchanging terms inappropriately, I'm not a biology major :)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
What do high levels of protein in the urine indicate about the kidney and liver function of a patient? Try starting there.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jdawg
Cool idea, thanks!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Fervent Freyja