Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lacquer for waterproofing low voltage circuits

1. Jun 16, 2007 #1

wolram

Gold Member

surprisingly low voltage circuits still function fully submersed in water if
    they are protected with some coating.
    They only fail when this coating breaks down.
    Now if this submersion in water is not a designed feature (accidental), is
    there some standard for the protection material?
    How long it will take to decompose become porous.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2007 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I'm not exactly sure what the questions are.
    There are certainly industry standards for waterproofing components if such is necessary. If this is something that you want to do yourself, just 'paint' your entire circuit with liquid latex or silicone sealant. Neither one will break down within your lifetime in a water environment. The 'bathroom' version of either will be even better in water, since they include fungicides to inhibit the growth of mold and whatnot.

4. Jun 16, 2007 #3

wolram

Gold Member

Danger, looking for some standard (IP) rating, ok, circuits can be encapsulated but, that makes them throw away, i need a standard
    for coatings that can be reap lied if say a microchip is replaced.

5. Jun 16, 2007 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Ah, that puts it out of my field. As an amateur, however, I would still go with the route that I mentioned. Either of those sealants can easily be sliced off with a razor knife or X-Acto in the local area of the specific component, and then re-painted to seal it again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?