Lagrange EQ for a Double Atwood Machine

In summary: The mass 4m is subject to the forces of gravity and the two strings. The string on the top pulley is subjected to a tension force in the downward direction, while the string on the bottom pulley is subjected to a tension force in the upward direction. Since both tensions are in the same direction, the net force on the mass is zero.
kq6up

Homework Statement

7.27 ** Consider a double Atwood machine constructed as follows: A mass 4m is suspended from a string that passes over a massless pulley on frictionless bearings. The other end of this string supports a second similar pulley, over which passes a second string supporting a mass of 3m at one end and m at the other. Using two suitable generalized coordinates, set up the Lagrangian and use the Lagrange equations to find the acceleration of the mass 4m when the system is released. Explain why the top pulley rotates even though it carries equal weights on each side.

Homework Equations

##\frac { \partial L }{ \partial q } =\frac { d }{ dt } \frac { \partial L }{ \partial \dot { q } } ##

The Attempt at a Solution

Looking at the solution I did all the steps after setting up the Lagrange e.q. correctly. My lagrange is incorrect, but I am not sure where I went awry. Could you folks give a hint?

Here is my Lagrange E.Q.:

##L=4m{ \dot { q } }_{ 1 }^{ 2 }+2m{ \dot { q } }_{ 2 }^{ 2 }-2m\dot { { q }_{ 1 } } \dot { { q }_{ 2 } } +2mg{ q }_{ 2 }##

edit: This is the resultant equation after I expanded all the terms and added cross terms. The algebra is good, the initial setup is different than what the solution manual had. However, I am having trouble seeing how our initial equations are not different equations stating the same problem. The SM yielded: ## L=4m{ \dot { q } }_{ 1 }^{ 2 }+2m{ \dot { q } }_{ 2 }^{ 2 }+2m\dot { { q }_{ 1 } } \dot { { q }_{ 2 } } -2mg{ q }_{ 2 }## after the algebraic smoke cleared.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Without you providing details, including what generalized coordinates you chose, it will be difficult to see where you went wrong. Just based on you lagrangian and that of the solution manual, I would say it seems you have defined q2 in the opposite direction from the SM as you will recover the same lagrangian if you do the transformation q2 -> -q2.

Orodruin said:
Without you providing details, including what generalized coordinates you chose, it will be difficult to see where you went wrong. Just based on you lagrangian and that of the solution manual, I would say it seems you have defined q2 in the opposite direction from the SM as you will recover the same lagrangian if you do the transformation q2 -> -q2.

Would that not give the same answer?

Here is my original lagrangian without expanding and simplifying ##L=2m{ \dot { q } }_{ 1 }^{ 2 }+\frac { 3 }{ 2 } m{ \left( { \dot { q } }_{ 2 }-{ \dot { q } }_{ 1 } \right) }^{ 2 }+\frac { 1 }{ 2 } m{ \left( { \dot { q } }_{ 2 }+{ \dot { q } }_{ 1 } \right) }^{ 2 }+4mg{ q }_{ 1 }-3mg\left( { q }_{ 1 }-{ q }_{ 2 } \right) -mg\left( { q }_{ 1 }{ +q }_{ 2 } \right) ##

The SM lagrangian before expansion/simplification: ## L=2m{ \dot { q } }_{ 1 }^{ 2 }+\frac { 1 }{ 2 } m{ \left( { \dot { q } }_{ 2 }-{ \dot { q } }_{ 1 } \right) }^{ 2 }+\frac { 3 }{ 2 } m{ \left( { -\dot { q } }_{ 1 }-{ \dot { q } }_{ 2 } \right) }^{ 2 },\quad U=-4mg{ q }_{ 1 }-mg\left( { { l }_{ 1 }-q }_{ 1 }{ +q }_{ 2 } \right) -3mg\left( { { l }_{ 1 }-q }_{ 1 }+{ l }_{ 2 }-{ q }_{ 2 } \right) ##

Thanks,
Chris

No, it would not give the same answer. It would change the sign of the terms that are linear in ##q_2## and ##\dot q_2##, just as you would get a different sign for a particle in a gravitational field depending on how you define the vertical coordinate (positive in the up or down direction). The terms quadratic in ##q_2## and ##\dot q_2## will be multiplied by a factor ##(-1)^2 = 1##.

I see that the equations are not the same. However, I am having a hard time understanding why choosing the direction of q2 should matter from a physical perspective. In my mind it seems like the choice of direction should be arbitrary. I do see from the math it is not. I am just having a hard time reconciling the two.

Edit:

One thing that does not make sense to me is how they have written their equations. It makes sense that the q2 will be falling towards the 3m side. When the pulley that q2 is wrapped around pulled up towards the q1 side, the fall of 3m should slow, and the rise of m should speed up by adding the velocity of rope q1. This is reflected in my equation not theirs as far as I can tell.

Edit II:

Ok, after some head scratching I came to the conclusion the two paragraphs above are wrong. I will leave them there just for a record.

If you take the q2 as running in the reverse direction for the SM version (which it is ##2\ddot { y } +\ddot { x } =-g## from the SM) the quantity L should be invariant. The first two terms don't matter as they are squared. The q2 being negative adds a negative in the 3rd term, and it cancels the negative in front of the fourth term (because it is running backwards in the SM). Ok I feel a little better now as it seems that they are equivalent. I will double check my math from that point on. If you are still convinced they are different, then I have absolutely no clue how. I spent a good hour thinking very carefully about it. I am open to being convinced of my er though.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
Finally figured it out. Both of the equations above give the correct answer (the SM and my lagrangian both work as they should). After I plugged it into the Euler-Lagrange (for the principle of stationary action) I made a simple algebraic mistake. Once I found that little mistake, I got g/7 just like the solution manual states. Your suggestion really threw me as I could not see how those lagrangians should be different other than the direction that q2 is defined. They weren't, but I really had to scrutinize everything to be 100% sure of that.

I should have carefully checked my algebra before posting -- lesson learned.

Thanks,
Chris

kq6up said:
If you take the q2 as running in the reverse direction for the SM version (which it is ##2\ddot { y } +\ddot { x } =-g## from the SM) the quantity L should be invariant. The first two terms don't matter as they are squared. The q2 being negative adds a negative in the 3rd term, and it cancels the negative in front of the fourth term (because it is running backwards in the SM). Ok I feel a little better now as it seems that they are equivalent. I will double check my math from that point on. If you are still convinced they are different, then I have absolutely no clue how. I spent a good hour thinking very carefully about it. I am open to being convinced of my er though.

Yes, this is basically what I said. By "answer" above I am referring to the form of the Lagrangian, not "mass A will go up and B down". This will of course be invariant regardless of how you parametrize your problem.

L is not necessarily invariant under any transformation. However, regardless of what transformation you make you should end up with the same physical result, you just need to apply the inverse transformation to the end result.

I'd say it would help the OP very much, if he/she could send us a full description of the problem, perhaps attaching a little drawing. That may even help him/her to solve the problem himself/herself!

Likes 1 person
Yes, I will post that in the future. The problem on this one was that I missed a tiny little algebra mistake that crept in at the very end of the problem. I was meticulous about thinking through the initial set up, so I had assumed I had no math errors. I guess I got sloppy toward the end of the problem.

Chris

1. What is a Lagrange EQ for a Double Atwood Machine?

The Lagrange equation for a Double Atwood Machine is a mathematical equation used to describe the motion of a double Atwood machine, which is a system consisting of two masses connected by a string or cable that passes over a pulley. The equation is derived from the principles of classical mechanics and is used to determine the acceleration and tension in the string as well as the positions and velocities of the two masses.

2. How is the Lagrange equation derived for a Double Atwood Machine?

The Lagrange equation for a Double Atwood Machine is derived using the Lagrangian method, which is a mathematical approach for solving problems in classical mechanics. The Lagrangian is a function that represents the total kinetic and potential energies of the system, and the Lagrange equation is obtained by taking the partial derivatives of the Lagrangian with respect to the generalized coordinates of the system.

3. What are the assumptions made in using the Lagrange equation for a Double Atwood Machine?

The Lagrange equation for a Double Atwood Machine assumes that the system is conservative, meaning that there is no energy loss due to friction or other dissipative forces. It also assumes that the string or cable connecting the two masses is massless and that the pulley is frictionless. Additionally, the equation assumes that the masses and pulley are point masses, meaning that they have no physical dimensions.

4. How is the Lagrange equation solved for a Double Atwood Machine?

The Lagrange equation for a Double Atwood Machine is typically solved using numerical methods or by simplifying the equation through the use of constraints. In some cases, the equation can also be solved analytically by using algebraic manipulations to solve for the generalized coordinates. The final solution will depend on the specific parameters and initial conditions of the system.

5. What are the applications of the Lagrange equation for a Double Atwood Machine?

The Lagrange equation for a Double Atwood Machine has applications in understanding the dynamics of systems involving masses connected by strings or cables, such as elevators, cranes, and other mechanical systems. It is also used in studying the motion of objects in pulley systems, as well as in developing control systems for robotics and other engineering applications.