1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrange Multiplier MethodMaking Sense of the Results

1. Jun 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am doing this lagrange multiplier problem with 2 constraints. I have completely solved it as shown in the image below. I have found that for lambda = 1 and mu = +/- 1/2 I have that x=+/- [sqrt(2)] y=+/- [1/sqrt(2)] and z=+/- [1/sqrt(2)].

So I am trying to figure out what points I actually have now. It seemed to me that since for x,y,z I have both a positive and negative value, I should have 2*2*2= 8 points to look at. But the solution only lists four. Am I messing this up somehow? Are there not 8 points given by the solution below? Thanks.

TTT1.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's pretty good. But how many of those 8 points satisfy xy=1?

4. Jun 8, 2010 #3
    Ah ha. I see now. Thanks Dick! Is there a general approach to keeping track of which points are valid for all constraints? Or do you just solve the n equations for n unknowns and then back-check? I know there is probably no blanket rule.. but is that the approach more times than not?

5. Jun 8, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've got it. No, I don't think there's any more general way than back checking. Your solutions from solving subsets of the equations may give you extraneous solutions. Just back check.

6. Jun 8, 2010 #5
    Thanks a bunch! :smile:

7. Jun 8, 2010 #6

cronxeh

Gold Member

8. Jun 8, 2010 #7
    Haha! Nice one cronxeh :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook