1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrange on an Ellipse to find Max/Min Distance

1. Nov 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Bci0M.png

2. Relevant equations

Lagrance Multipliers.

3. The attempt at a solution

This is a pretty dumb question, and I feel a little embarassed asking but..

I know how to do the Lagrange part (I think). I'm assuming you maximize/minimize the distance, [itex]\sqrt{x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2}}[/itex] subject to the constraints of the ellipse.

The part I'm having trouble with is finding the constraints of the ellipse - could someone help point me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is a lot easier to maximize or minimize distance-squared; do you see why it is OK to do that? As for the constraints, ask yourself: how can I tell if a given point (x,y,z) is on the ellipse? What are the conditions for that?

4. Nov 29, 2012 #3
    Ah yes, the thought of it passed my mind, but I didn't think it was viable until you pointed it out - thanks! :)

As for the constraints, I know the equations of the cylinder and the plane that create it.. but when I try to put them together (i.e., [itex]x^{2} + y^{2} = x + y + z[/itex]), it doesn't seem to give me the correct equation. I might just be having a brain fart, but I just don't know what I'm missing or doing incorrectly here :(

5. Nov 29, 2012 #4
    Just gave it an attempt, and my maximization problem became:

Maximize [itex]x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2}[/itex] subject to [itex]x + y - \sqrt{1 - x^{2}} - \sqrt{1 - y^{2}} = 0[/itex]

Is this correct? If so, do I need to substitute out z in terms of x and y? Because I have a feeling that would make things very complicated..

6. Nov 29, 2012 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You wrote two equations, not one, so you need two Lagrange multipliers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook