Lagrangian and Eulerian Specifications

• Thread starter swmmr1928
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lagrangian
In summary, the Lagrangian approach involves following an individual particle in both space and time, while the Eulerian approach involves following the flow of a stream and tracking the displacement of particles within that stream. Both approaches take into account time effects and the Eulerian approach requires the use of the material derivative. The Navier-Stokes equation incorporates the Eulerian approach.
swmmr1928
This is not a homework or test or textbook question or exercise. I am asking purely out of curiosity. Please do not tell me to post this in homework help or give me another infraction.

I have gathered that the Lagrangian approach will follow an individual particle to record some streamline and the Eulerian approach will stay at a point. The Eurlerian neglects time effects and so the material derivative is needed.

My question is will the Lagrangian follow an individual particle in time and in space or in space only? In the weather analogy where you can measure pressure by moving in space or by staying in place, will time be changing while you move through space?

I can imagine two approaches that differ from the Eulerian approach:
1) You follow an individual particle in space as it moves in time
2) You follow the path, at constant time, of a streamline

Which of these two is the Lagrangian approach?

I read some more and my understanding was way off when I posted this, but I am still confused.
The Eulerian approach can use streamlines. The Lagrangian also needs the material derivative. True?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi swmmr1928,

Both approaches involve (or can involve) following a particle in space and time. Neither neglects time effects. The Lagrangian approach assigns the initial coordinates to where a particular particle (that is presumably traveling in a stream) has been at a particular time while the Eulerian approach assigns the initial coordinates to something outside the local flow of the stream.

Since the Eulerian approach requires you to specify information about the flow of the stream AND the local displacement in the stream of the particle, the material derivative is required. In the Lagrangian approach, you are only concerned with the local displacement of that particular particle for a given time. The Eulerian approach allows you to more naturally track the position of different particles that may or may not be traveling at different velocities within the stream.

The Navier-Stokes equation for Fluid Dynamics incorporates the Eulerian approach.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between Lagrangian and Eulerian specifications?

Lagrangian and Eulerian specifications are two different ways of describing the motion of a fluid. In Lagrangian specification, the motion of individual fluid particles is tracked over time, while in Eulerian specification, the motion of a fixed point in space is observed. In other words, Lagrangian specification focuses on the path of a fluid particle, while Eulerian specification focuses on the flow field at a fixed location.

2. When should I use Lagrangian or Eulerian specifications in my research?

The choice between Lagrangian and Eulerian specifications depends on the specific research question and the type of fluid being studied. Lagrangian specification is useful for studying individual fluid particles and their trajectories, while Eulerian specification is better suited for understanding the overall flow field. Both specifications have their own advantages and limitations, so it is important to carefully consider the research objectives before choosing one over the other.

3. Can Lagrangian and Eulerian specifications be used together?

Yes, it is possible to use both Lagrangian and Eulerian specifications in a single study. This approach is often used in large-scale simulations, where Lagrangian particles are used to track the motion of individual fluid elements, while Eulerian grids are used to calculate the flow field at fixed points in space. This combination allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the fluid dynamics being studied.

4. Are there any real-world applications of Lagrangian and Eulerian specifications?

Yes, both Lagrangian and Eulerian specifications have numerous real-world applications. For example, Lagrangian specification is commonly used in weather forecasting to track the motion of air parcels, while Eulerian specification is used in hydraulic engineering to study the flow of water in rivers and pipes. Both specifications are also used in oceanography, atmospheric science, and many other fields of study.

5. What are some challenges associated with using Lagrangian and Eulerian specifications?

One of the main challenges of using Lagrangian and Eulerian specifications is the need to accurately track and measure the motion of fluid particles or flow fields. This can be difficult to achieve in complex systems or turbulent flows. Additionally, the choice between Lagrangian and Eulerian specifications can greatly affect the accuracy and resolution of the results, so careful consideration and validation of the chosen approach is necessary for reliable research outcomes.