1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian Density, Non Linear Schrodinger eq

1. Apr 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Derive the Non-Linear Schrödinger from calculus of variations

2. Relevant equations
    Lagrangian Density [itex] \mathcal{L} = \text{Im}(u^*\partial_t u)+|\partial_x u|^2 -1/2|u|^4[/itex]
    The functional to be extreme: [itex] J = \int\limits_{t_1}^{t_2}\int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty}\! \mathcal{L}\,\text{d}x\,\text{d}t[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I integrate by parts make a variation function which is demanded differentiable in x,t and get the following Euler Equation(2d) so i consider the Lagrangian density:
    [itex] \dfrac{\partial \mathcal{L} }{\partial u} = \dfrac{d}{dt}\left(\dfrac{\partial \mathcal{L} }{\partial u_t} \right) + \dfrac{d}{dx}\left(\dfrac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial u_x}\right)[/itex]
    Inserting into the above i arrive at a equation not entierly similar to the Non-linear Schrodinger equation:
    [itex] -|u|^2u-\dfrac{i}{2}\dfrac{\partial u}{\partial t} -\dfrac{\partial^2u}{\partial x^2} = 0[/itex]
    My question is: Is this wrong? it looks a lot like the NSE but it is not entierly equal to

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2012 #2
    Nwm i made an error the solution should be:
    [itex] |u|^2u + i\partial_t u + \partial_{uxx} = 0 [/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook