1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian equations - ring which is sliding along a wire

1. Oct 28, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello. I have this problem:
    I have a ring which is sliding along a wire in the shape of a spiral because of gravity.
    Spiral (helix) is given as the intersection of two surfaces: x = a*cos(kz), y = a*sin(kz). The gravity field has the z axis direction.
    I have to find motion equations and find the wire reaction as a function of time.

2. Relevant equations

I have to solve it with this equation:
    equation.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is the first time, when I solve a example with Lagrangian equations, so I am not sure what to do.
    I created this equations:
    solution.jpg

I know, it is not the end. I have to find λ, motion equations and the wire reaction. But firstly, please, tell me, if I am right or where is mistake and why. Then I will continue.

Thank you very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi,
    can you tell me what
    your Lagrangian is ?
    your generalized coordinates are ?
    all variables and given/known data are, i.e. what your relevant equation symbols represent ?
    Then we can continue. :wink:

4. Oct 28, 2017 #3
    Do I really need the Lagrangian? When I read the study text, there was Lagrangian only in Lagrange's equations of the second kind, not in Lagrange's equations of the first kind. And I wrote there Lagrange's equations of the first kind, because in my task was, that I have to use this.

My study text is in different language, but the type of equations is same like this on 3rd page: https://www.physast.uga.edu/ag/uplo...8011 - HMWK 04 - Lagrange Eqs of 1st Kind.pdf

Sorry, I am confused, it is new for me.

5. Oct 29, 2017 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, I'm grateful because I had to find out about these first kind Lagrange equations (look suspiciously like Newton's) . At least that revealed what ##\Phi## stands for: the constraint equations. And they are supposed to come in the form ##\Phi_\alpha = 0##. Can you make that explicit for me, so we can check your ##\partial\Phi_\alpha\over \partial x_j## ?

Furthermore: I see only one ##\lambda##. How many constraints do you have ?

Another tack (problem solving skills): approaching this from the other end: what kind of motion do you expect ? Do your intermediate equations fit that ?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted