Lagrangian Mechanics with one constraint

In summary, the student was tasked with finding the normal force on a box by a slab as a function of time, but was unsure of the constraint. They attempted to use the Lagrangian equation with a constraint function, but could not get the correct answer. Eventually, they were able to solve the problem.
Natchanon

Homework Statement

slab.PNG
r.PNG

slab.PNG
I'm supposed to find the normal force acting on the box by the slab as a function of time. The problem is I don't know what the constraint is. I can't find the relation between r and theta that adds the two up to zero.

Homework Equations

upload_2018-10-21_17-21-57.png

Lagrangian equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried constraint f(r, theta , t) = theta and got lamda = mr (gcos(theta) + r theta(double dot) ) = mgrcos(theta) since omega is constant, but still couldn't get the right answer.

Attachments

• slab.PNG
    slab.PNG
    3.7 KB · Views: 605
  • r.PNG
    r.PNG
    7.8 KB · Views: 555
  • upload_2018-10-21_17-21-57.png
    upload_2018-10-21_17-21-57.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 266
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, and welcome to PF.

If you know ##r## and ##\theta## as functions of time, then I don't understand why you would need to bother with setting up the Lagrangian. Did you state the problem word-for-word as given to you?

TSny said:
Hello, and welcome to PF.

If you know ##r## and ##\theta## as functions of time, then I don't understand why you would need to bother with setting up the Lagrangian. Did you state the problem word-for-word as given to you?
Sorry for the late reply. I was able to figure it out. Thank you.

1. What is Lagrangian Mechanics with one constraint?

Lagrangian Mechanics with one constraint is a mathematical framework used to describe the motion of a system of particles subject to a single constraint. It is based on the principle of least action, which states that the path taken by a system between two points in time is the one that minimizes the action, or the integral of the difference between the system's kinetic and potential energies.

2. How does the constraint affect the equations of motion in Lagrangian Mechanics?

The constraint in Lagrangian Mechanics affects the equations of motion by introducing a Lagrange multiplier, which acts as a constraint force. This force ensures that the system's motion remains consistent with the given constraint, and it is incorporated into the equations of motion through the use of Lagrange's equations.

3. Can Lagrangian Mechanics with one constraint be applied to systems with multiple particles?

Yes, Lagrangian Mechanics with one constraint can be applied to systems with multiple particles. Each particle is treated as a separate degree of freedom, and the constraint is applied to the system as a whole. The equations of motion for each particle will then be subject to the same constraint, ensuring that the system's motion remains consistent.

4. What are the advantages of using Lagrangian Mechanics with one constraint?

There are several advantages to using Lagrangian Mechanics with one constraint. Firstly, it allows for a more elegant and concise formulation of the equations of motion compared to traditional Newtonian mechanics. Additionally, it provides a more general framework that can be applied to a wide range of systems, including those with complex geometries or non-conservative forces.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using Lagrangian Mechanics with one constraint?

One limitation of Lagrangian Mechanics with one constraint is that it can be challenging to apply to systems with non-holonomic constraints, which are constraints that cannot be expressed as a simple equation. In these cases, alternative methods, such as the Hamiltonian formalism, may be more suitable. Additionally, the use of Lagrangian Mechanics requires a good understanding of calculus and differential equations, which can be challenging for some individuals.