Lagrangian for relativistic angular momentum

In summary, the speaker is asking if there is a Lagrangian for the relativistic angular momentum and mentions that they don't understand the question. They have been directed to read a chapter in a book but it doesn't contain the information they are looking for. They also mention that their professor has said that there is no Lagrangian for relativistic angular momentum. The speaker provides a link to material that discusses the preservation of angular momentum in the relativistic case and mentions that Goldstein is mentioned in the end notes.
Frank93
Hi everyone, I have a question that can't solve. Does exist a lagrangian for the relativistic angular momentum (AM)? I can't even understand the question because it has no sense for me... I mean, the lagrangian is a scalar function of the system(particle,field,...), it isn't a function FOR the conjugate variables. This question is part of a work. I told the professor that I don't understand the question and he told me that read one chapter of Classical Mechanics,Goldstein, the part about action integral for relativistic mechanics, but it doesn t contain anything about Lagrangian for relativistic MA. If you could tell my about some book that contains that, i will be grateful. Thanks!

Pd.: I knowk that the answer is NO, it doesn't exist a Lag for the relativistic AM(professor tolds it to me)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check out this material: http://applet-magic.com/relamomentum.htm
The 'Relativistic Case' part discusses the Lagrangian of bodies with linear and angular motion, and the preservation of the angular momentum.
Goldstein is also mentioned in end notes.Hope this helps,
Joseph Shtok

1. What is the Lagrangian for relativistic angular momentum?

The Lagrangian for relativistic angular momentum is a mathematical expression used in the study of relativistic mechanics. It is defined as the difference between the kinetic and potential energy of a particle, and is used to calculate the angular momentum of a particle in a relativistic system.

2. How is the Lagrangian for relativistic angular momentum derived?

The Lagrangian for relativistic angular momentum is derived from the Lagrangian formalism, a mathematical framework used to describe the dynamics of a system. It is based on the principle of least action, which states that the path taken by a particle between two points is the one that minimizes the action, defined as the integral of the Lagrangian over time.

3. What are the key components of the Lagrangian for relativistic angular momentum?

The Lagrangian for relativistic angular momentum is composed of two main components: the kinetic energy term, which describes the motion of the particle, and the potential energy term, which describes the forces acting on the particle. It also includes terms for the particle's mass and position, as well as any external forces.

4. How is the Lagrangian for relativistic angular momentum used in physics?

The Lagrangian for relativistic angular momentum is used in physics to describe the motion of particles in relativistic systems, such as those involving high speeds or strong gravitational fields. It is an important tool in the study of special and general relativity, and is used to derive equations of motion and calculate physical quantities such as angular momentum and energy.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Lagrangian for relativistic angular momentum?

While the Lagrangian for relativistic angular momentum is a powerful tool in physics, it does have some limitations. It is most useful for describing systems with a single particle, and becomes more complex when dealing with multiple particles. Additionally, it may not accurately describe systems involving quantum mechanics or very small distances.