1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian, Hamiltonian coordinates

1. Oct 6, 2013 #1
    Dear All,

To give a background about myself in Classical Mechanics, I know to solve problems using newton's laws, momentum principle, etc.

I din't have a exposure to Lagrangian and Hamiltonian until recently. So I tried to read about it and I found that I was pretty weak in coordinate systems. Especially in problems such as, a disk rolling on a inclined plane with a pendulum attached to it. I find much difficulty in finding the coordinates of the bob.

What prerequisite I need to crack these sort of problems? Give me some links to brush up coordinate system or suggest some reading! Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Any introductory text on analytical mechanics should provide adequate guidance - they all have to move between the "generalized" coordinates that are natural to a problem and the cartesian coordinates where you know how to express the kinetic energy.

For example, Fowles "Analytical Mechanics" is a good undergraduate text.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook