1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian mechanics for a varible mass

1. Mar 21, 2007 #1
    Is it possible to find a lagrangian for a system with a varible mass and have a vaild solution when you are complete?

For instance, if I have a chain falling over the edge of a table or a rocket how would one approach this.

Example of my thinking:
    For a chain falling over a table, if we assume that a sufficent portion of the entire mass is hanging over the edge (M'), than the lagrange will be something along the lines of:

L=1/2 (dm/dq)*v(t)^2 + M'gl; where q is a generalized coordinate, and l is how high the object is above the ground-level.

Anyone see anything wrong with this picture? Any other examples?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2007 #2
    I would think, since the derivation of Lagrange's equation is predicated on constant mass, that you would have to go back to the beginning and re-derive the results for variable mass. In fact, that might be an interesting exercise until itself...

4. Mar 21, 2007 #3
    The question then becomes, I guess where to start with that.

I guess we could attempt to derive it from D'Alembert's principle, but that is just a guess.

5. Mar 21, 2007 #4

Mentz114

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?