Lagrangian mechanics: Kinetic energy of a bead sliding along a bent wire

In summary: Of course, those are just letters, and what we have both implicitly assumed is that these ARE, in fact, cylindrical coordinates (in disguise), in the way that you have identified.
wdednam

Homework Statement

Determine the kinetic energy of a bead of mass m which slides along a frictionless wire bent in the shape of a parabola of equation y = x2. The wire rotates at a constant angular velocity [tex]\omega[/tex] about the y-axis.

Homework Equations

T = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]m([tex]\dot{x}^2[/tex] + [tex]\dot{y}^2[/tex] + [tex]{x}^2[/tex][tex]\omega^2[/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution

The above equation represents my attempt to write down the kinetic energy of the system in an appropriate coordinate system. After this I eliminated [tex]\dot{y}[/tex] in favour of [tex]\dot{x}[/tex] using y = x2 and got:

T = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]m([tex]\dot{x}^2[/tex] + 4[tex]{x}^2[/tex][tex]\dot{x}^2[/tex] + [tex]{x}^2[/tex][tex]\omega^2[/tex])

Does this look right to anyone? The book (study guide) I'm using was unfortunately compiled by my University and no answers are supplied to end-of-chapter problems. This problem comes out of the first chapter of my study guide and all the problems there basically involves writing down a correct expression for the Lagrangian/Kinetic Energy.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
wdednam said:
Determine the kinetic energy of a bead of mass m which slides along a frictionless wire bent in the shape of a parabola of equation y = x2. The wire rotates at a constant angular velocity [tex]\omega[/tex] about the y-axis.

T = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]m([tex]\dot{x}^2[/tex] + 4[tex]{x}^2[/tex][tex]\dot{x}^2[/tex] + [tex]{x}^2[/tex][tex]\omega^2[/tex])

Does this look right to anyone?
It looks right to me. I am, of course, assuming, as you have apparently done as well, that x is the distance from the y-axis, and not simply the Cartesian x-coordinate.

turin said:
It looks right to me. I am, of course, assuming, as you have apparently done as well, that x is the distance from the y-axis, and not simply the Cartesian x-coordinate.

Hi Turin,

Thanks a lot for the help!

Yes, x does represent the distance from the y-axis, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't have been better to use cylindrical coordinates, z and r for y and x respectively, instead?

wdednam said:
Thanks a lot for the help!
I didn't even do anything, but, you're welcome. :)

wdednam said:
... I'm wondering if it wouldn't have been better to use cylindrical coordinates, z and r for y and x respectively, instead?
Of course, those are just letters, and what we have both implicitly assumed is that these ARE, in fact, cylindrical coordinates (in disguise), in the way that you have identified. I don't know why the author decided to use those letters as opposed to the standard \rho and z, but that was the author's decision, not ours.

What is Lagrangian mechanics?

Lagrangian mechanics is a mathematical framework used to describe the motion of a system of particles by considering the relationships between the position, velocity, and acceleration of each particle.

What is the kinetic energy of a bead sliding along a bent wire?

The kinetic energy of a bead sliding along a bent wire is the energy that the bead possesses due to its motion. It is calculated using the equation KE = (1/2)mv^2, where m is the mass of the bead and v is its velocity.

How is the kinetic energy of a bead sliding along a bent wire related to Lagrangian mechanics?

In Lagrangian mechanics, the kinetic energy of a system is an important quantity that is used to determine the equations of motion for the system. In the case of a bead sliding along a bent wire, the kinetic energy will be one of the terms in the Lagrangian function, which is used to derive the equations of motion.

What factors affect the kinetic energy of a bead sliding along a bent wire?

The kinetic energy of a bead sliding along a bent wire is affected by several factors, including the mass of the bead, the shape of the bent wire, and the speed at which the bead is sliding. Additionally, any external forces acting on the bead, such as friction, will also affect its kinetic energy.

Why is it important to consider the kinetic energy of a bead sliding along a bent wire in Lagrangian mechanics?

The kinetic energy of a system is an important quantity in Lagrangian mechanics because it is used to determine the equations of motion for the system. By considering the kinetic energy of a bead sliding along a bent wire, we can accurately describe the motion of the system and make predictions about its behavior.