1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian mechanics: Kinetic energy of a bead sliding along a bent wire

1. Jan 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the kinetic energy of a bead of mass m which slides along a frictionless wire bent in the shape of a parabola of equation y = x2. The wire rotates at a constant angular velocity [tex]\omega[/tex] about the y-axis.

2. Relevant equations

T = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]m([tex]\dot{x}^2[/tex] + [tex]\dot{y}^2[/tex] + [tex]{x}^2[/tex][tex]\omega^2[/tex])

3. The attempt at a solution

The above equation represents my attempt to write down the kinetic energy of the system in an appropriate coordinate system. After this I eliminated [tex]\dot{y}[/tex] in favour of [tex]\dot{x}[/tex] using y = x2 and got:

T = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]m([tex]\dot{x}^2[/tex] + 4[tex]{x}^2[/tex][tex]\dot{x}^2[/tex] + [tex]{x}^2[/tex][tex]\omega^2[/tex])

Does this look right to anyone? The book (study guide) I'm using was unfortunately compiled by my University and no answers are supplied to end-of-chapter problems. This problem comes out of the first chapter of my study guide and all the problems there basically involves writing down a correct expression for the Lagrangian/Kinetic Energy.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2009 #2

turin

Homework Helper

It looks right to me. I am, of course, assuming, as you have apparently done as well, that x is the distance from the y-axis, and not simply the Cartesian x-coordinate.

4. Jan 8, 2009 #3
    Hi Turin,

Thanks a lot for the help!

Yes, x does represent the distance from the y-axis, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't have been better to use cylindrical coordinates, z and r for y and x respectively, instead?

5. Jan 8, 2009 #4

turin

Homework Helper

I didn't even do anything, but, you're welcome. :)

Of course, those are just letters, and what we have both implicitly assumed is that these ARE, in fact, cylindrical coordinates (in disguise), in the way that you have identified. I don't know why the author decided to use those letters as opposed to the standard \rho and z, but that was the author's decision, not ours.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?