Lagrangian mechanics problem - check my work?

In summary, the problem involves a cart attached to a spring and a T-shaped pendulum pinned to its center. The aim is to find Lagrange's equations of motion. The Lagrangian is obtained by setting y=0 as the horizontal line through the center of the cart and taking x as the displacement of the spring from equilibrium. The KE terms include the car's KE, the rotational KE of the upper bar of the pendulum, and the kinetic energy of the bottom part of the pendulum. It is valid to split the pendulum and analyze its two pieces separately. The use of Lagrange multiplier methods is also recommended.
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

A cart of mass M is attached to a spring with spring constant k. Also, a T-shaped pendulum is pinned to its center. The pendulum is made up of two bars with length L and mass m. Find Lagrange's equations of motion.

I've attached the figure and my solution as a PDF. I let y=0 be the horizontal line through the center of the cart and let x be the displacement of the spring from equilibrium. I'm pretty sure that I can get Lagrange's equations if I have the correct Lagrangian, so that's the part I'd like you to check. Ah, yes, and I just noticed that the sines in my expression for U should be cosines. Other than that, is my Lagrangian alright? Or do I need to include a translational KE of the center of mass of the upper bar of the pendulum attached to the center of the cart?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Lagrangian problem2.pdf
    117.8 KB · Views: 259
Physics news on Phys.org
Your pdf file is "pending approval"

WRT your question about the KE, note that if the car moves but the pendulum swings the opposite way you should have less KE than if the car and pendulum swing together. So it is better not to try to naively add the KE component for the pendulum's moment of inertia about the pivot. Rather:

1.) You should have a KE term for the car itself,
2.) A rotational KE term for the rotation of the pendulum about its own center of mass, and
3.) A KE term for the motion of the pendulum's center of mass in both x and y directions as a function of the car position and angle of swing (and of course their rates of change).

If the car were fixed you could take care of 2 and 3 together by taking the moment of inertia about the stationary pivot point instead of about the center of mass. Since the car moves you should work these separately.

Another option is to introduce a Lagrange multiplier term reflecting the constraint that the pendulum is attached to the car, (actually two terms for x and y components). Then you can treat the pendulum as a free rotating T (subject to gravity). This adds some complexity in the method but it does also give you the forces of constraint (if you needed them) as the values of the Lagrange multipliers and you avoid having to worry about issues like whether and how to include translational components of the pendulum.

I'm just now appreciating Lagrange multiplier methods more lately. You just treat each piece of a mechanism like this independently and then tack in Lagrange multipliers time the constraints holding the pieces together. http://www.slimy.com/~steuard/teaching/tutorials/Lagrange.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so I think anyone should be able to open the PDF now.

Here are the contributions I got for KE:

1) the car's KE

2) the rotational kinetic energy of the upper bar of the pendulum; where
KE = 1/2*I*(thetadot^2) and I = 1/3mL^2.

3) the kinetic energy of the bottom part of the pendulum (the center of mass of this piece traces a circle, so I said KE = 1/2m*l^2)

Is it valid to split the pendulum and analyze its two pieces separately?

What is a Lagrangian mechanics problem?

A Lagrangian mechanics problem involves finding the equations of motion for a system, typically involving particles or rigid bodies, using the Lagrangian formalism. This approach takes into account the kinetic and potential energies of the system and allows for a more general and elegant solution compared to traditional Newtonian mechanics.

How do you solve a Lagrangian mechanics problem?

To solve a Lagrangian mechanics problem, you need to follow the following steps:

• 1. Identify all the particles or bodies in the system and their coordinates.
  • 2. Determine the kinetic energy of each particle in terms of its coordinates and velocities.
  • 3. Determine the potential energy of the system in terms of the coordinates.
  • 4. Set up the Lagrangian function, which is the difference between the kinetic and potential energies.
  • 5. Use the Euler-Lagrange equations to find the equations of motion for each coordinate.
  • 6. Solve the equations of motion to find the general solution for the system.

What are the advantages of using Lagrangian mechanics?

There are several advantages of using Lagrangian mechanics over traditional Newtonian mechanics:

• 1. It is a more general approach that can be applied to a wider range of systems, including non-conservative systems.
  • 2. It simplifies the equations of motion and reduces the number of variables needed to describe a system.
  • 3. It allows for a more elegant and compact formulation of the equations of motion.
  • 4. It is particularly useful for studying systems with constraints, as it takes into account the constraints in its formulation.
  • 5. It is often more efficient for solving complex problems compared to traditional methods.

What are some common mistakes when solving a Lagrangian mechanics problem?

Some common mistakes when solving a Lagrangian mechanics problem include:

• 1. Not correctly identifying all the coordinates and velocities in the system.
  • 2. Forgetting to take into account all the forces acting on the system.
  • 3. Using the wrong sign convention for the kinetic and potential energies.
  • 4. Not properly applying the Euler-Lagrange equations.
  • 5. Making errors in the algebraic manipulations when solving the equations of motion.

How can I check if my solution to a Lagrangian mechanics problem is correct?

There are a few ways to check if your solution to a Lagrangian mechanics problem is correct:

• 1. Make sure your equations of motion satisfy the Euler-Lagrange equations.
  • 2. Check if your solution satisfies any given initial conditions.
  • 3. Compare your solution to known solutions for similar problems.
  • 4. Use numerical methods to simulate the system and compare the results to your analytical solution.
  • 5. Have a peer or instructor review your work for any mistakes or errors.