Lagrangian Mechanics: Find Lagrangian & Hamiltonian of Pendulum

In summary, the problem involves a mass attached to a vertical spring with a natural length of l. The Lagrangian and Hamiltonian are to be found for the system when it moves like a pendulum. Possible choices for generalized coordinates include l for the length of the spring and $$\theta$$ for angular displacement of the pendulum. Polar coordinates may also be used, with the origin at the fixing point and theta as the angle between the spring and the vertical. However, using polar coordinates may lead to difficulties in finding the frequency of small oscillations about the equilibrium position. There is also a need to reverse the sign in both the elastic and gravitational potential energies.
Zamarripa

Homework Statement

We have a mas m attached to a vertical spring of length (l+x) where l is the natural length.

Homework Equations

Find the Lagrangian and the hamiltonian of the system if it moves like a pendulum

The Attempt at a Solution

we know that the lagrangian of a system is defined as:
L=T-V

T=mv2/2
V=mgy-[kr2/2]

where
x1=(l+x)sinθ
y1=(l+x)cosθ

would you chose your variables the same way?

Physics news on Phys.org
The potential energy in your spring gets lower and lower as the spring extends if you use your expression for the potential energy. This is unphysical.

May I add that the strength of Lagrangian/Hamiltonian approach is that it takes advantages of constraints. You want to use generalized coordinates instead of familiar Cartesian coordinates.

Possible choices

[itex]l[/itex] - for the length of the spring (I don't think that resting length is important for this problem, which is why I chose [itex]l[/itex] )

$$\theta$$ - for angular displacement of the pendulum that this spring is attached to

I believe this system has 2 degrees of freedom and thus 2 generalized coordinates. I recall doing a problem similar to this in my Classical Mechanics lecture where the length was given as a function of t...in that case [itex]l[/itex] is already predetermined and this system has only one degree of freedom $$\theta$$. I hastily thought this through and hastily wrote this response, if time permits I'll give it a more careful examination later.

I would use polar coordinates with the origin at the fixing point and theta the angle between the spring and the vertical. That way you have orthogonal coordinates so you don't get cross-terms in the kinetic energy, and the potential energy of the spring is expressed easily in terms of r. V is just mgr(1-cos(theta)) then.

If you define theta as the angle between the spring and the horizontal then the potential energy will be slightly neater, but then your equilibrium position will be at theta=pi/2 and that will only make life difficult if you want to find the frequency of small oscillations about the equilibrium.

If you go ahead with your coordinates, you'll find a bit of algebra will get you to polar coordinates in the end, though as has been mentioned you need to reverse the sign in your elastic potential energy. I think the sign on your gravitational potential energy needs to be reversed too, but I'm unsure of exactly how you've defined your coordinates. Just remember the gravitational potential increases as the mass moves up!

1. What is Lagrangian Mechanics?

Lagrangian Mechanics is a mathematical framework for analyzing the motion of a system of particles. It is based on the principle of least action, which states that the path a system takes between two points in space is the one that minimizes the action, a quantity representing the difference between kinetic and potential energy.

2. How do you find the Lagrangian of a pendulum?

The Lagrangian of a pendulum can be found by applying the Lagrangian formula, which is L = T - V, where T represents the kinetic energy of the pendulum and V represents its potential energy. For a pendulum, T is equal to the product of its mass, m, and the square of its velocity, v^2, while V is equal to the product of its mass, m, and the acceleration due to gravity, g, multiplied by the height of the pendulum, h.

3. What is the Hamiltonian of a pendulum?

The Hamiltonian of a pendulum is a function that represents the total energy of the system. It is equal to the sum of the kinetic and potential energies, H = T + V. In the case of a pendulum, the Hamiltonian is equal to the product of its mass, m, and the square of its velocity, v^2, plus the product of its mass, m, and the acceleration due to gravity, g, multiplied by the height of the pendulum, h.

4. What are the advantages of using Lagrangian Mechanics for analyzing a pendulum?

One advantage of using Lagrangian Mechanics for analyzing a pendulum is that it provides a more elegant and concise method compared to traditional Newtonian mechanics. It also allows for the use of generalized coordinates, making it easier to analyze systems with multiple degrees of freedom. Additionally, the principle of least action allows for the prediction of the path a system will take without having to solve differential equations.

5. Can Lagrangian Mechanics be applied to other systems besides a pendulum?

Yes, Lagrangian Mechanics can be applied to a wide range of systems, including but not limited to particles, rigid bodies, and fields. It is a versatile tool that can be used to analyze systems with varying degrees of complexity. However, it may not always be the most efficient method for analyzing certain systems, and other approaches may be more appropriate.