1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian of Pendulum with Oscillating Hinge

1. Nov 22, 2015 #1
    1.) The Problem Statement:

a.) Find the Lagrangian of a pendulum where the height of the hinge is oscillating in the y direction and is is defined as a function ##y_0=f(t)##

b.) Add a function (a gauge transformation) of the form ##\frac{d F(\theta,t)}{dt}## to the original lagrangian ##\mathcal{L}## to obtain a new lagrangian ##\mathcal{L}'=T'-V'## where ##T'## is the "usual kinetic energy of a pendulum" and ##V'## is the potential of a time varying gravitational field. Compare their Hamiltonians

2.) Relevant Equations

Lagranges equations

3.) Attempt at a Solution
    Part a I got. The Lagrangian I got is the following. (I can go into more detail about how I got this if required)

[tex]\mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{2}m\left( l^2 \dot{\theta}^2 + \dot{y}^2_0(t) + 2 \dot{y}_0(t)l \dot{\theta} \sin\theta \right) - mg \dot{y}_0(t)+mgl\cos\theta[/tex]

I know this answer is correct because for when ##y_0(t)=a\cos\omega t## it yields the equation of motion that is the same as the result in the text with a function of this form.

Part b is where I am stuck. When I see "potential of a time varying gravitational field," I think something of the form ##m g(t) y##. The only idea I can come up with is to write the function ##\frac{dF}{dt}## in a form that cancels out most of the terms of the original Lagrangian, but only keeps the kinetic term, ##\frac{1}{2}l^2\dot{\theta}^2## and other terms so that I can write the potential in the form I desire. But I cannot seem to make any headway with this, and I am very iffy on if this approach is correct or not. I think I understand the premise of the problem, instead of viewing the pendulum to have an oscillating hinge, instead cast the problem as a normal pendulum in an oscillating gravitational field. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions??

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you have the right idea. You just need to play around with constructing the appropriate function F(θ,t). Take it one term at a time. For example, it is easy to construct a term in F such that dF/dt yields a term of the form ##mg\dot{y}_0##.

4. Nov 22, 2015 #3
    I made a typo in my original post, the one term at the end of the lagrangian should be ##mg y_0## not ##mg \dot{y_0}##.

I figured it out! I was correct in my reasoning as you pointed out, but the trick was to realize that part of the integral of the third term can be written in the form ##-ml \dot{y_0(t)}\cos\theta.## So you can re-write it in terms of it's integral and cancel out the extra terms by the gauge transformation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted