Lagrangian of Simple Pendulum with Fixed Masses and Horizontal Bar

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
cpsinkule
Messages
174
Reaction score
24

Homework Statement


2 masses, m[itex]_{1}[/itex] and m[itex]_{2}[/itex] are fixed at the endpoints of a rigid rod of length l. mass m[itex]_{1}[/itex] is attached to a horizontal bar so that it may move in the x direction freely, but not in the y direction. let θ be the angle the rod makes with the vertical, what is the corresponding Lagrangian of the system if it is assumed to be in the uniform gravitational field g?


Homework Equations


Euler Lagrange eqns


The Attempt at a Solution


The only issue I am running into with this problem is in the kinetic energy terms. My kinetic terms are : [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](m[itex]_{1}[/itex]+m[itex]_{2}[/itex])[itex]\dot{x}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m[itex]_{2}[/itex]l[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\dot{θ}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex] but the book proposes a solution the same as mine except with the added term [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m[itex]_{2}[/itex](2l[itex]\dot{x}[/itex][itex]\dot{θ}[/itex]cosθ). I am not understanding where this term comes from, I thought I took care of the x velocity dependence in the first term.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Find expressions for the x and y coordinates of m2 in terms of the x coordinate of m1 and θ.