Lagrangian of system of bodies in PN approximation [Landau Textbook]

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in understanding a section of a book where the Lagrangian for a single particle is given as 106.16 and the total Lagrangian is given as 106.17. The individual steps to reach the final Lagrangian are explained and the speaker suggests starting from 106.16 and working to 106.17 to understand the concept better.
GrimGuy
Hey guy,
I'm having problems to understand the final part of this section. The book says we have the lagrangian from one particle (106.16), then we have some explanation and then the total lagrangian is given(106.17). For me is everything fine until the 106.16, then i couldn't get what is going on. What I've tried to do is, I've substituted the ##h_{00}##, ##h_{0\alpha} ##, ##h_{\alpha \beta } ## and ##\phi##, ##\phi_{a}## into 106.16 and tried to find 106.17 (no sucsses). Any enlightenment on this will be extremely appreciated.

1618926369424.png
1618926388134.png
1618926407272.png

Physics news on Phys.org
This does look slightly yucky! I reckon what you have to do to prove it for yourself is, like they suggest, show that ##\left( \partial L_a / \partial \mathbf{r}\right)## evaluated at ##\mathbf{r} = \mathbf{r}_a## is equal to ##\partial L / \partial \mathbf{r}_a##. But I can't see a particularly nice way of doing it.

First you're going to want to work out all of ##\partial h_{00} / \partial \mathbf{r}##, then ##\partial h_{0\alpha} / \partial \mathbf{r}##, then ##\partial h_{\alpha \beta} / \partial \mathbf{r}##. For instance, let's have a look at ##\partial h_{00} / \partial \mathbf{r}## first. We know that\begin{align*}

\partial_{\mathbf{r}} \phi &= \sum_b \frac{km_b(\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_b)}{|\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_b|^3}\end{align*}Hence\begin{align*}
\partial_{\mathbf{r}} h_{00} &= \frac{2}{c^2} \partial_{\mathbf{r}} \phi + \frac{4\phi}{c^2} \partial_{\mathbf{r}} \phi + \frac{2k}{c^4} \sum_b m_b \phi_b' \frac{m_b(\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_b)}{|\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_b|^3} + \frac{3k}{c^4} \sum_b m_b v_b^2 \frac{(\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_b)}{|\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_b|^3}
\end{align*}which is the same as \begin{align*}

\partial_{\mathbf{r}} h_{00} = &\frac{2}{c^2} \sum_b \frac{km_b(\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_b)}{|\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_b|^3} + \frac{-4k^2}{c^2} \sum_b \sum_c \frac{m_b m_c (\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_b)}{|\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_b|^3|\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_c|} \\

&+ \frac{-2k^2}{c^4} \sum_b \sum_c' \frac{m_b m_c (\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_b)}{|\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_b|^3 |\mathbf{r}_b - \mathbf{r}_c|} + \frac{3k}{c^4} \sum_b \frac{m_b v_b^2 (\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_b)}{|\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_b|^3}

\end{align*}and et. cetera, assuming there's no major mistakes in the above. I really don't know if there's any simpler way. Good luck! 😜

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes GrimGuy
etotheipi said:
This does look slightly yucky! I reckon what you have to do to prove it for yourself is, like they suggest, show that ##\left( \partial L_a / \partial \mathbf{r}\right)## evaluated at ##\mathbf{r} = \mathbf{r}_a## is equal to ##\partial L / \partial \mathbf{r}_a##. But I can't see a particularly nice way of doing it.

First you're going to want to work out all of ##\partial h_{00} / \partial \mathbf{r}##, then ##\partial h_{0\alpha} / \partial \mathbf{r}##, then ##\partial h_{\alpha \beta} / \partial \mathbf{r}##. For instance, let's have a look at ##\partial h_{00} / \partial \mathbf{r}## first. We know that\begin{align*}

\partial_{\mathbf{r}} \phi &= \sum_b \frac{km_b(\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_b)}{|\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_b|^3}\end{align*}Hence\begin{align*}
\partial_{\mathbf{r}} h_{00} &= \frac{2}{c^2} \partial_{\mathbf{r}} \phi + \frac{4\phi}{c^2} \partial_{\mathbf{r}} \phi + \frac{2k}{c^4} \sum_b m_b \phi_b' \frac{m_b(\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_b)}{|\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_b|^3} + \frac{3k}{c^4} \sum_b m_b v_b^2 \frac{(\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_b)}{|\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_b|^3}
\end{align*}which is the same as \begin{align*}

\partial_{\mathbf{r}} h_{00} = &\frac{2}{c^2} \sum_b \frac{km_b(\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_b)}{|\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_b|^3} + \frac{-4k^2}{c^2} \sum_b \sum_c \frac{m_b m_c (\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_b)}{|\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_b|^3|\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_c|} \\

&+ \frac{-2k^2}{c^4} \sum_b \sum_c' \frac{m_b m_c (\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_b)}{|\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_b|^3 |\mathbf{r}_b - \mathbf{r}_c|} + \frac{3k}{c^4} \sum_b \frac{m_b v_b^2 (\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_b)}{|\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_b|^3}

\end{align*}and et. cetera, assuming there's no major mistakes in the above. I really don't know if there's any simpler way. Good luck! 😜
I got your idea, i'll try it. But, do you have other idea to start from 106.16 and arrive in the 106.17, this is my main go.
Thanks man.

1. What is the Lagrangian of a system of bodies in PN approximation?

The Lagrangian of a system of bodies in PN (post-Newtonian) approximation is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a system of bodies in the framework of general relativity. It takes into account the effects of both Newtonian gravity and relativistic corrections, making it a more accurate model for describing the behavior of massive bodies in the universe.

2. How is the Lagrangian of a system of bodies in PN approximation derived?

The Lagrangian of a system of bodies in PN approximation is derived using the principles of Lagrangian mechanics, which is a mathematical framework for describing the motion of particles and systems. In this case, the Lagrangian is obtained by considering the gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy of the system, as well as the effects of relativistic corrections.

3. What is the significance of using PN approximation in the Lagrangian of a system of bodies?

Using PN approximation in the Lagrangian of a system of bodies allows for a more accurate description of the dynamics of the system. This is particularly important when dealing with massive bodies that are moving at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields, where the effects of relativity cannot be ignored.

4. Can the Lagrangian of a system of bodies in PN approximation be used for any system?

No, the Lagrangian of a system of bodies in PN approximation is specifically designed for systems that involve massive bodies and require relativistic corrections. It is not applicable to all systems, as there are other mathematical models that may be more suitable for different types of systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Lagrangian of a system of bodies in PN approximation?

Yes, there are limitations to using the Lagrangian of a system of bodies in PN approximation. This model is most accurate for systems with relatively low velocities and weak gravitational fields. It also assumes that the bodies in the system are point particles, which may not be the case for all systems.