Lagrangian of the system of two masses

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
rouge89
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I am wondering, how does lagrangian of such system look like?

24n46zn.jpg


Will it be:

[tex]L=\frac{m_{1} \cdot \dot{y}^2}{2} + \frac{m_{2} \cdot \dot{x}^2}{2} +\frac{m_{3} \cdot (\dot{y'}^2+\dot{x'}^2)}{2} + \frac{I \cdot \dot{ \alpha }^2}{2} - mgy - mgy'[/tex]

where:

[tex]y'=\frac{l}{2}sin(\alpha)[/tex]
[tex]x'=\frac{l}{2}cos(\alpha)[/tex] ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
x^2+y^2=l^2,so x,y,ω(angular velocity)can be obtained.by the way that is correct
 
I'm going to sit down and do this when I get a chance. But for now, it looks like you are only going to need one generalized coordinate to completely define the system. I would use the y-coord of m1.
 
Hmm so guys, this is correct (with this additional equation as, andrien wrote: x^2+y^2=l^2), but there is way to do that better using one generalized coordinate, right? Hmm very often this one generalize is an angle + length... but here maybe it could be done with y,x etc.