Lagrangian of the system of two masses

In summary, the Lagrangian of this system can be represented as L=\frac{m_{1} \cdot \dot{y}^2}{2} + \frac{m_{2} \cdot \dot{x}^2}{2} +\frac{m_{3} \cdot (\dot{y'}^2+\dot{x'}^2)}{2} + \frac{I \cdot \dot{ \alpha }^2}{2} - mgy - mgy', where y'=\frac{l}{2}sin(\alpha), x'=\frac{l}{2}cos(\alpha), and x^2+y^2=l^2. It is possible to simplify this using one
rouge89
I am wondering, how does lagrangian of such system look like?

24n46zn.jpg

Will it be:

[tex]L=\frac{m_{1} \cdot \dot{y}^2}{2} + \frac{m_{2} \cdot \dot{x}^2}{2} +\frac{m_{3} \cdot (\dot{y'}^2+\dot{x'}^2)}{2} + \frac{I \cdot \dot{ \alpha }^2}{2} - mgy - mgy' [/tex]

where:

[tex]y'=\frac{l}{2}sin(\alpha) [/tex]
[tex]x'=\frac{l}{2}cos(\alpha) [/tex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
x^2+y^2=l^2,so x,y,ω(angular velocity)can be obtained.by the way that is correct

I'm going to sit down and do this when I get a chance. But for now, it looks like you are only going to need one generalized coordinate to completely define the system. I would use the y-coord of m1.

Hmm so guys, this is correct (with this additional equation as, andrien wrote: x^2+y^2=l^2), but there is way to do that better using one generalized coordinate, right? Hmm very often this one generalize is an angle + length... but here maybe it could be done with y,x etc.

The Lagrangian of a system of two masses can be represented as the sum of the kinetic energy and potential energy of the system. The kinetic energy is given by the sum of the kinetic energies of each individual mass, which is equal to the mass multiplied by the square of its velocity. Therefore, the first two terms in the Lagrangian expression represent the kinetic energies of the masses m1 and m2.

The next two terms represent the kinetic energy of the third mass m3 and the rotational kinetic energy of the system, which is represented by the moment of inertia I and the square of the angular velocity α.

The last two terms represent the potential energy of the system, which is the sum of the gravitational potential energies of the masses m1 and m2.

The variables y' and x' represent the positions of the third mass m3, which is connected to the other two masses through a rod of length l and angle α. The potential energy terms take into account the vertical displacement of the masses due to the gravitational force.

Overall, the Lagrangian of this system takes into account the kinetic and potential energies of all three masses, as well as the rotational motion of the system. It is a comprehensive representation of the system's dynamics and can be used to derive the equations of motion for the masses.

1. What is the Lagrangian of the system of two masses?

The Lagrangian of a system of two masses is a mathematical function that describes the total energy of the system as a function of the positions and velocities of the two masses. It is often denoted by the symbol L.

2. How is the Lagrangian calculated for a system of two masses?

The Lagrangian is calculated by summing the kinetic and potential energies of the two masses. The kinetic energy is determined by the masses' velocities, while the potential energy is determined by the positions of the masses and any external forces acting on them.

3. What is the significance of the Lagrangian in physics?

The Lagrangian is a fundamental concept in the field of classical mechanics and is used to describe the motion of particles and systems. It provides a more elegant and concise way to express the equations of motion, known as the Lagrange equations.

4. How is the Lagrangian used in real-world applications?

The Lagrangian is used extensively in various fields of physics, such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in engineering and aerospace industries to model and analyze the behavior of complex systems, such as satellites and spacecraft.

5. Can the Lagrangian be used to solve problems with more than two masses?

Yes, the Lagrangian can be extended to systems with any number of masses. However, as the number of masses increases, the equations become more complex and may require numerical methods for solution. It is still a useful tool for analyzing the behavior of complex systems in physics and engineering.