Landau Diamagnetism Explained: Free Electron Gas

In summary: So the total effect of the magnetic field on an electron is somewhat complicated. In summary, the term of spin-magnetic field interaction is not included in the hamiltonian of an electron because it is so small compared to the other terms.
chikou24i
Hi, in the case of free electrons gas under the effect of a magnetic field. The hamiltonian of an electron doesn't contain a term of Spin-Magnetic field interaction this means that it contains just the kinetic energy terms. Why is that ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any spin magnetic interaction would tend to align the magnetic moments with the magnetic field and cause paramagnetic type behavior. Apparently the thermal (kinetic energy effects) make this effect much smaller than the diamagnetism part. This one I like to look at as a LeChatlier type response: The system (free electrons) in equilibrium will respond in such a manner as to try reduce any change (the applied magnetic field) to the system. The diamagnetic response from the free electron orbits behaves as expected. Paramagnetism and ferromagnetism seem to be exceptions to LeChatlier's principle.

Last edited:
Likes chikou24i
Thanks sir for your responce, but what I want to know why the term of spin-magnetic field interaction doesn't appear in the hamiltonian of the electron. is it because it is so small in front of the kinetic energy for example ?

chikou24i said:
Thanks sir for your responce, but what I want to know why the term of spin-magnetic field interaction doesn't appear in the hamiltonian of the electron. is it because it is so small in front of the kinetic energy for example ?
The answer is apparently. A more complete approach will also explain the deHaas-Van Alphen oscillations. (The diamagnetic susceptibily oscillates as a function of applied field ## H ##.) I am no expert on the subject of diamagnetism, but I have seen it in a couple of courses that I took.

Likes chikou24i
chikou24i said:
Hi, in the case of free electrons gas under the effect of a magnetic field. The hamiltonian of an electron doesn't contain a term of Spin-Magnetic field interaction this means that it contains just the kinetic energy terms. Why is that ?
I suppose this is a simplification to explain some special feature, but without you giving us some reference for your claim it is hard to say.

Likes chikou24i
Yes, this is a simplification to explain just one effect: Landau diamagnetism. The complete Hamiltonian has to include electron spin magnetic moment times applied magnetic field term. This is giving Pauli paramagnetism. There is also a term due to the kinetic energy in the direction parallel to the applied field.

1. What is Landau diamagnetism?

Landau diamagnetism is a phenomenon in which a material exhibits a weak repulsive force when placed in a magnetic field. This is due to the alignment of the material's electrons in response to the external magnetic field.

2. How does Landau diamagnetism relate to free electron gas?

In a free electron gas, the electrons are not bound to any particular atom and are able to move freely. When a magnetic field is applied, the electrons will experience a force causing them to move in circular orbits, leading to the observed diamagnetic effect.

3. What is the origin of Landau diamagnetism?

The origin of Landau diamagnetism lies in the quantum mechanical behavior of electrons. In a magnetic field, the electrons' energy levels split into discrete Landau levels, resulting in a decrease in the material's overall energy. This decrease in energy leads to the observed repulsive force.

4. Can Landau diamagnetism be observed in all materials?

Yes, Landau diamagnetism is a universal phenomenon and can be observed in all materials to some degree. However, the effect is usually very weak and can only be observed in extremely strong magnetic fields or with highly sensitive instruments.

5. What are the practical applications of Landau diamagnetism?

Landau diamagnetism has several practical applications, including in the field of magnetic levitation. It is also used in some types of magnetic imaging techniques, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Additionally, studying Landau diamagnetism can provide insight into the electronic properties of materials.