Landau & Lifschitz, Classical Theory of Fields

In summary, the conversation discusses the book "Classical Theory of Fields" by Landau & Lifschitz, specifically the Third Revised English edition from 1971. The speaker mentions finding potential errors in the text, specifically on page 231 where an unnumbered equation involving 4-pseudotensors and a transformation determinant is mentioned. They also note a discrepancy in the use of "J" in different equations. The speaker asks if others have also noticed these errors and if there is an errata or a better edited version of the book available.
goedelite
Landau & Lifschitz, "Classical Theory of Fields"

The above titled book is useful in many regards, but occasionally I find what I think are errors in the text. I have the Third Revised English edition (1971). On p. 231, for example, an unnumbered equation E = J e. I have omitted the superscripts; E and e are 4-pseudotensors and J is the determinant (Jacobian) of the transformation. To my understanding, all of the quantities are determinants, or otherwise they are all tensor-type elements. Down the page, further, the metric tensor g in arbitrary coordinates is related to g in galilean coordinates. The transformation, this time, is a product of two derivatives with the latter g. In this case, it seems that the product determinant is called J-squared, rather than just J as in the prior case.

Are my observations off the mark?

Physics news on Phys.org

PS I ask this apparently uninteresting question, because there are other equations in the same discussion that I find doubtful and I am wondering whether an errata exists that may have fallen out of my text or if a better edited book would be a good idea, if it exists.

1. What is the main focus of Landau & Lifschitz's Classical Theory of Fields?

The main focus of Landau & Lifschitz's Classical Theory of Fields is to provide a comprehensive and rigorous treatment of classical field theory, including electromagnetism, hydrodynamics, and elasticity. It also lays the foundation for understanding quantum field theory.

2. How is the Classical Theory of Fields different from Newtonian mechanics?

The Classical Theory of Fields differs from Newtonian mechanics in that it describes the behavior of continuous fields rather than individual particles. It also incorporates special relativity, which is necessary for understanding the behavior of fields at high speeds.

3. What are some key concepts covered in Landau & Lifschitz's Classical Theory of Fields?

Some key concepts covered in Landau & Lifschitz's Classical Theory of Fields include field equations, conservation laws, gauge invariance, and the principle of least action. It also explores the relationship between fields and particles, and how they interact with each other.

4. Who is Landau & Lifschitz and why are they significant in the field of physics?

Landau & Lifschitz refer to Lev Landau and Evgeny Lifshitz, two prominent Soviet physicists who collaborated on several influential textbooks in theoretical physics. They are significant for their contributions to various fields, including condensed matter physics, quantum field theory, and cosmology.

5. Is Landau & Lifschitz's Classical Theory of Fields still relevant today?

Yes, Landau & Lifschitz's Classical Theory of Fields is still relevant today as it provides a solid foundation for understanding classical field theory and its applications in various branches of physics. Many of its concepts and principles continue to be used in modern research and are considered essential for a thorough understanding of theoretical physics.