1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace tranforms with boundary conditions

1. Mar 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Here's the question:

Use laplace transforms to find X(t), Y(t) and Z(t) given that:

X'+Y'=Y+Z
    Y'+Z'=X+Z
    X'+Z'=X+Y

subject to the boundary conditions X(0)=2, Y(0)=-3,Z(0)=1.

Now I have learnt the basics of laplace transforms, but have not seen a question in this form before. How do I start the question, could someone for instance show me how to get X(t) and I'll try the rest knowing how to do it? I have other questions I need to do like this, but this looks like the easiest one.

Thanks

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Take the transform of each equation so instead of 3 equations in X(t), Y(t), and Z(t) you have 3 equations in their transforms x(s), y(s), and z(s). Then solve the 3 equations for those three transforms.

4. Mar 29, 2012 #3
    I am still unsure.

Take L() to be notation for laplace.

Top line,

L(X')=sx(s)-X(0)
    L(Y')=sy(s)-Y(0)
    L(Y)=y(s)
    L(Z)=z(s)

How do I solve from here?

sx(s)-X(0)+sy(s)-Y(0)=y(s)+z(s)

5. Apr 2, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry for the delay in getting back. Google has started intercepting Forum posts as spam and I didn't know it. What you need to do is take the LaPlace transform of both sides of all three equations, using formulas like you have listed above. You will get 3 equations in the three unknowns x(s), y(s), and z(s). And you know X(0) = 2 and Y(0)=-3 so use that. Plug the equations above into the first equation. Then do likewise with the other two.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook