Laplace Transform/Diff eq question

• Thread starter smk037
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laplace
In summary, the problem is to find the solution to the differential equation using laplace transform techniques. After performing the laplace transform and solving for Y(s), the inverse laplace transform yields the solution (e^(-t))*(cos(t) + 2sin(t)), which is inconsistent with the initial conditions. Further analysis is needed to determine the cause of this inconsistency.
smk037

Homework Statement

Find the solution to the differential equation using laplace transform techniques

y''(t) + 2y'(t) + 2y(t) = u'(t)
u(t) = 1(t) (step function)
y(0) = 1, y'(0) = 0

Homework Equations

L{y''(t)} = (s^2)Y(s) + (s)y(0) - y'(0)
L{y'(t)} = (s)Y(s) - y(0)
u'(t) = d(t) (dirac/delta function)
L{d(t)} = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

L{y''(t) + 2y'(t) + 2y(t) = u'(t)} =
(s^2)Y(s) + (s)y(0) - y'(0) - 2s*Y(s) - 2y(0) + 2Y(s) = 1
(s^2)Y(s) - s + 2s*Y(s) - 2 + 2Y(s) = 1
(s^2)Y(s) + 2s*Y(s) + 2Y(s) = 3+s
Y(s) (s^2 + 2s + 2) = 3+s
Y(s) = (3+s)/(s^2 + 2s + 2)

Now, the problem I am facing is that any calculator that I use tells me the solution to this problem is (e^(-t))*(cos(t) + sin(t))
example
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=y''(t)+2y'(t)+2y(t)=+dirac(t),+y(0)+=+1,+y'(0)+=+0

I realized this when doing my analysis of the system in MATLAB.

But when I take the inverse laplace transform of the equation I ended up with, I get
(e^(-t))*(cos(t) + 2sin(t))

which is inconsistent with the initial conditions, since it gives a 2 at t = 0.
Any ideas about what I could be doing wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
e^(-0)=1
cos(0) =1
2sin(0) =0

so y(0)=1.

Your working seems correct :)

What is Laplace Transform?

Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to solve differential equations. It transforms a function of time into a function of complex frequency, making it easier to solve differential equations by transforming them into algebraic equations.

What are the applications of Laplace Transform?

Laplace Transform has various applications in engineering, physics, and mathematics. It is used to solve differential equations in fields such as control systems, circuit analysis, and signal processing. It is also used in probability theory and statistics.

How do you solve a differential equation using Laplace Transform?

To solve a differential equation using Laplace Transform, you first need to take the Laplace Transform of both sides of the equation. Then, you can use algebraic methods to solve for the unknown function. Finally, you can take the inverse Laplace Transform to find the solution in the time domain.

What are the advantages of using Laplace Transform?

Laplace Transform has several advantages over traditional methods of solving differential equations. It is a powerful tool for solving complex differential equations, and it can handle problems with discontinuous or piecewise continuous functions. It also simplifies the process of solving differential equations by transforming them into algebraic equations.

Are there any limitations to using Laplace Transform?

Although Laplace Transform is a useful tool, it has some limitations. It may not be applicable to all types of differential equations, especially those with very complicated boundary conditions. It also requires a knowledge of complex analysis and may not be suitable for beginners.