1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace Transform f(t)=tcos(t)

1. May 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to find the laplace transform of f(t)=tcos(t).

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\int e^-^s^ttcos(t)dt[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I just need help on how to integrate this. I can find the answer easily using the f(t)=tcos(kt) general formula but I wish to find it directly.

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2009 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Use the complex form of the cosine.

4. May 26, 2009 #3
    Thank you :)

5. May 26, 2009 #4
    I get [tex] \mathcal{L} [tcost] = \frac {1}{2} ( \frac {1}{(i-s)^{2}} + \frac {1}{(i+s)^{2}}) [/tex]

Hopefully that simplifies to [tex] \frac {s^{2}-1}{(s^{2}+1)^{2}} [/tex]

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  6. May 26, 2009 #5
    Integration by parts also works but thanks :D

7. May 26, 2009 #6
    Even if you use the complex form of cos(t), you still have to integrate by parts (albeit it's rather simple).

[tex] \frac {1}{2} \int^{ \infty}_{0} e^{-st}t \frac {1}{2}(e^{it} + e^{-it})dt [/tex]

[tex] = \frac {1}{2} \int^{ \infty}_{0} te^{(i-s)t}dt + \frac {1}{2} \int^{ \infty}_{0} te^{-(i+s)t}dt [/tex]

8. May 26, 2009 #7
    You don't need to integrate by parts at all. Just compute the Laplace transform of cos(t). Differentiating with respect to s will then bring down a factor of minus t in the Laplace integral.

9. May 26, 2009 #8
    Cool shortcut. I've never seen it before.

[tex] \mathcal{L} [cos(t)] = \int^{ \infty}_{0} e^{-st}cos(t)dt [/tex]

[tex] \frac {d}{ds} \mathcal{L} [cos(t)] = \frac {d}{ds} \int^{ \infty}_{0} e^{-st}cos(t)dt [/tex]

Assuming it's okay to bring the derivative inside the integral,

[tex] = \int^{ \infty}_{0} \frac {d}{ds} e^{-st}tcos(t)dt [/tex]

[tex] = -\int^{ \infty}_{0}te^{-st}cos(t)dt [/tex]

[tex] = -\int^{ \infty}_{0}e^{-st}tcos(t)dt = - \mathcal{L} [tcos(t)] [/tex]

10. May 26, 2009 #9
    then it would appear that [tex] \frac {d^{2}}{ds^{2}} \mathcal{L} [cos(t)] = \mathcal{L} [t^{2}cos(t)] [/tex]

11. May 26, 2009 #10
    Another trick: To obtain the Laplace transform of, say, sin(t)/t you can compute the Laplace transform of sin(t) and then integrate w.r.t. s from p to infinity. The Laplace transform is then a function of the parameter p. If you put p = 0, you obtain the integral of sin(t)/t from zero to infinity. What's interesing about this is that the antiderivative of sin(t)/t cannot be evaluated in closed form.

12. May 27, 2009 #11
    I have to see for myself.

[tex] \mathcal{L} [sin(t)] = \int^{ \infty}_{0} e^{-st}sin(t)dt [/tex]

[tex] \int^{ \infty}_{p} \mathcal{L} [sin(t)] = \int^{ \infty}_{p} \int^{ \infty}_{0} e^{-st}sin(t)dtds [/tex]

Changing the order of integration (which I assume is allowed),

[tex] = \int^{ \infty}_{0} \int^{ \infty}_{p} e^{-st}sin(t)dsdt [/tex]

[tex] = \int^{ \infty}_{0} \frac {1}{t}e^{-pt}sin(t)dt [/tex]

[tex] = \int^{ \infty}_{0} e^{-pt} \frac {sin(t)}{t}dt = \mathcal{L} [ \frac {sin(t)}{t}] [/tex]

According to the table, [tex] \mathcal{L} [ \frac {sin(t)}{t}] = arctan( \frac {1}{p}) [/tex]

Should you then take the limit of [tex] arctan( \frac {1}{p}) [/tex] as p goes to zero?

[tex] \int^{ \infty}_{0} \frac {sin(t)}{t}dt = \lim_{p \to 0} arctan( \frac {1}{p}) = \frac {\pi}{2} [/tex] ?

13. May 28, 2009 #12
    You can derive that the Laplace transform of sin(t)/t is arctan(1/p) by integrating the Laplace transform of sin(t). If you integrate
    1/(s^2+1) from p to infinity, you get pi/2 - arctan(p).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook