Laplace Transform of t cos(2t)

In summary, to find the Laplace Transform of f(t) = tcos(2t) from its definition, you can use the fact that L[t f(t) ] = - F^{\prime}(s) and L[ \cos (2t) ] = \frac{s}{s^2 + 4} for s>0. This allows you to take a derivative instead of integrating, making the solution easier.
rhololkeolke

Homework Statement

Find the Laplace Transform from the definition of f(t) = tcos(2t)

Homework Equations

[tex]\int e^-^s^ttcos(2t)dt[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by doing parts
[tex]u = t[/tex]
[tex]du = dt[/tex]

[tex]dv = cos(2t)e^-^s^t dt[/tex]

but I get stuck on v and as far as I can tell doing parts on v won't help because neither term will be reduced when differentiated.

I'm looking for some direction on how to solve this integral.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You might try splitting it up differently. Try

[tex]\begin{align*}
u & = t e^{-st} \\
dv & = \cos 2t
\end{align*}
[/tex]

You'll have to integrate by parts at least twice.

Thanks. I was able to figure it out after starting with it split how you suggested.

A sneaky way is to use the fact that [itex] L[t f(t) ] = - F^{\prime}(s) [/itex]. You can use the fact that [itex] L[ \cos (2t) ] = \frac{s}{s^2 + 4} [/itex] for s>0. This way you are taking a derivative instead of integrating!

Last edited:

Related to Laplace Transform of t cos(2t)

What is the Laplace Transform of t cos(2t)?

The Laplace Transform of t cos(2t) is defined as the integral of the product of the function and the exponential function e^(-st), where s is a complex variable. In this case, the Laplace Transform of t cos(2t) is equal to 2/(s^2+4), as given by the Laplace Transform table.

What is the significance of the Laplace Transform of t cos(2t)?

The Laplace Transform of t cos(2t) is significant in applications of Laplace Transform to solve differential equations and in control theory. It allows us to convert a time-domain function into a frequency-domain function, making it easier to analyze and solve problems.

How is the Laplace Transform of t cos(2t) calculated?

The Laplace Transform of t cos(2t) is calculated using the Laplace Transform formula, which involves integration. In this case, we need to use the formula for the Laplace Transform of cos(at), which is (s/a^2+s^2). By substituting a=2, we get the final result of 2/(s^2+4).

What is the domain and range of the Laplace Transform of t cos(2t)?

The domain of the Laplace Transform of t cos(2t) is the complex plane, while the range is also the complex plane. However, the Laplace Transform of t cos(2t) is a rational function, so it is also defined for real values of s.

Can the Laplace Transform of t cos(2t) be inverted?

Yes, the Laplace Transform of t cos(2t) can be inverted using the inverse Laplace Transform formula. By using the Laplace Transform table, we can determine the inverse Laplace Transform of 2/(s^2+4), which is cos(2t).