Laplace transform heaviside function

In summary, the inverse laplace transform of (e^(-s))/(s^2+pi^2) can be solved using the fact that (e^(-as))/s is the inverse laplace transform of u(t-a). This allows us to avoid using convolution and simply translate and truncate the answer to u(t-a).
vvl92
I have a question asking for the inverse laplace transform of (e^(-s))/(s^2+pi^2).
I split it up to (e^(-s))/s x s/(s^2+pi^2) and got u(t-1)cos(pi(t-1)),but the correct answer is (sin(pi(t-1)/pi)u(t-1). So here it was split up to (e^(-s))/pi x pi/(s^2+pi^2) and I don't understand where the step function came from. It is the same in all of the questions and on things I have seen online, even though the transform of U(t-a) is (e^(-as))/s.

Physics news on Phys.org
vvl92 said:
I have a question asking for the inverse laplace transform of (e^(-s))/(s^2+pi^2).
I split it up to (e^(-s))/s x s/(s^2+pi^2) and got u(t-1)cos(pi(t-1)),but the correct answer is (sin(pi(t-1)/pi)u(t-1). So here it was split up to (e^(-s))/pi x pi/(s^2+pi^2) and I don't understand where the step function came from. It is the same in all of the questions and on things I have seen online, even though the transform of U(t-a) is (e^(-as))/s.

The inverse laplace transform of exp(-s)/s * s/(s^2 + pi^2) is the convolution of u(t-1) and cos(pi*t); that is, it equals
[tex] \int_0^t u(\tau - 1) \cos(\pi (t - \tau))\, d \tau.[/tex]

When trying to inverse transforms that have a factor of ##e^{-as}## I like to use the following idea. Consider the direct transform$$
\mathcal Lf(t-a)u(t-a) = \int_0^\infty e^{-st}f(t-a)u(t-a)\, dt =
\int_a^\infty e^{-st}f(t-a)\, dt $$Now let ##w = t-a## $$
=\int_0^\infty e^{-s(w+a)}f(w)\, dw= e^{-as}F(s)$$
where ##F(s)## is the transform of ##f(t)##. What this says in terms of inversing is that if you have a form ##e^{-as}F(s)## to invert, you can just invert the ##F(s)## to ##f(t)##, then translate and truncate your answer to ##f(t-a)u(t-a)##. This avoids doing the convolution. Try it on your problem.

LCKurtz said:
When trying to inverse transforms that have a factor of ##e^{-as}## I like to use the following idea. Consider the direct transform$$
\mathcal Lf(t-a)u(t-a) = \int_0^\infty e^{-st}f(t-a)u(t-a)\, dt =
\int_a^\infty e^{-st}f(t-a)\, dt $$Now let ##w = t-a## $$
=\int_0^\infty e^{-s(w+a)}f(w)\, dw= e^{-as}F(s)$$
where ##F(s)## is the transform of ##f(t)##. What this says in terms of inversing is that if you have a form ##e^{-as}F(s)## to invert, you can just invert the ##F(s)## to ##f(t)##, then translate and truncate your answer to ##f(t-a)u(t-a)##. This avoids doing the convolution. Try it on your problem.

I agree. This is the way I would have chosen to do the problem, but he did ask a direct question, and I felt it important to answer, if only to dispel his misunderstanding about multiplication vs. convolution..

1. What is the Laplace transform of the Heaviside function?

The Laplace transform of the Heaviside function is equal to 1/s, where s is the complex variable in the Laplace domain.

2. How is the Heaviside function used in Laplace transforms?

The Heaviside function is used in Laplace transforms to represent a step function, which can model real-world systems with sudden changes or discontinuities.

3. Can the Heaviside function be transformed using other methods besides Laplace transforms?

Yes, the Heaviside function can also be transformed using Fourier transforms, Mellin transforms, and Z transforms.

4. What is the inverse Laplace transform of the Heaviside function?

The inverse Laplace transform of the Heaviside function is equal to 1, for all values of t greater than or equal to 0. This means that the function has a constant value of 1 after the step at t=0.

5. How can the Laplace transform of the Heaviside function be used in solving differential equations?

The Laplace transform of the Heaviside function can be used to solve initial value problems in differential equations, by transforming the differential equation into an algebraic equation that can be solved for the desired variable.