1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace transform of Heaviside function

1. Nov 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the laplace transform of H(-t-17)

2. Relevant equations

Shifting theorem:

L(H(t-a)) = (e^-as)/s

3. The attempt at a solution

This is the only part of the problem that I can not get (this part is from a larger differential equation I'm trying to solve). I'm can't seem to figure out how the Laplace transform changes if there is a negative sign in front of the t. I'm not sure if there are some properties of the Heaviside function that will allow me to solve this that I simply don't know and that we didn't go over in class.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It's "Heaviside" which is now fixed.

Your relevant equation is incorrect and has two errors. It should be L(H(t - a)) = (e-as)/s.

H(t) is the unit step function. H(t - a) is the translation of the unit step function by a units. H(-t - 17) = H(-(t + 17)). This involves a reflection across the vertical axis, followed by a translation to the left by 17 units.

4. Nov 13, 2013 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

If [itex]t > 0[/itex] then [itex]-t -17 < 0[/itex] so [itex]H(-t-17) = 0[/itex] for all [itex]t > 0[/itex]. Since the Laplace transform only cares about the values of a function in [itex]t > 0[/itex] the Laplace transform of [itex]H(-t-17)[/itex] is equal to the Laplace transform of the zero function.

5. Nov 13, 2013 #4
    Thank you both.

I was actually able to pull up a nice identity online for H(x), where H(x) = (x + |x|)/2x. It helped a lot as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted