Laplace transform of Heaviside function

In summary, the laplace transform of H(-t-17) is equal to the laplace transform of the zero function, as H(t-a) is equal to 0 for all t > 0. Additionally, an online identity for the Heaviside function, H(x) = (x + |x|)/2x, was found and used to aid in solving the problem.
gravenewworld

Homework Statement

What is the laplace transform of H(-t-17)

Homework Equations

Shifting theorem:

L(H(t-a)) = (e^-as)/s

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the only part of the problem that I can not get (this part is from a larger differential equation I'm trying to solve). I'm can't seem to figure out how the Laplace transform changes if there is a negative sign in front of the t. I'm not sure if there are some properties of the Heaviside function that will allow me to solve this that I simply don't know and that we didn't go over in class.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
gravenewworld said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Shifting theorem:

H(t-a) = (e^-at)/s

This is the only part of the problem that I can not get (this part is from a larger differential equation I'm trying to solve). I'm can't seem to figure out how the Laplace transform changes if there is a negative sign in front of the t. I'm not sure if there are some properties of the Heaviside function that will allow me to solve this that I simply don't know and that we didn't go over in class.
It's "Heaviside" which is now fixed.

Your relevant equation is incorrect and has two errors. It should be L(H(t - a)) = (e-as)/s.

H(t) is the unit step function. H(t - a) is the translation of the unit step function by a units. H(-t - 17) = H(-(t + 17)). This involves a reflection across the vertical axis, followed by a translation to the left by 17 units.

gravenewworld said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Shifting theorem:

L(H(t-a)) = (e^-as)/s

If [itex]t > 0[/itex] then [itex]-t -17 < 0[/itex] so [itex]H(-t-17) = 0[/itex] for all [itex]t > 0[/itex]. Since the Laplace transform only cares about the values of a function in [itex]t > 0[/itex] the Laplace transform of [itex]H(-t-17)[/itex] is equal to the Laplace transform of the zero function.

Thank you both. I was actually able to pull up a nice identity online for H(x), where H(x) = (x + |x|)/2x. It helped a lot as well.

1. What is the Laplace transform of the Heaviside function?

The Laplace transform of the Heaviside function, also known as the unit step function, is 1/s, where s is the complex variable in the Laplace domain.

2. What is the significance of the Laplace transform of the Heaviside function?

The Laplace transform of the Heaviside function is used in engineering and physics to analyze and solve problems involving systems with a sudden change or step input. It allows us to convert a time-domain function to a frequency-domain function, making it easier to solve differential equations and understand the behavior of a system.

3. How is the Laplace transform of the Heaviside function related to the Dirac delta function?

The Laplace transform of the Heaviside function can be seen as the continuous version of the Dirac delta function. The Dirac delta function is the derivative of the Heaviside function and can be obtained by taking the limit as s approaches infinity in the Laplace transform of the Heaviside function.

4. Can the Laplace transform of the Heaviside function be used to solve initial value problems?

Yes, the Laplace transform of the Heaviside function can be used to solve initial value problems in a similar way to how it is used to solve differential equations. By taking the inverse Laplace transform of the Laplace transform of a function, we can find the original function and use it to solve initial value problems.

5. Are there any other functions that have a similar Laplace transform as the Heaviside function?

Yes, there are other functions, such as the ramp function and the exponential function, that have a similar Laplace transform as the Heaviside function. These functions also have step-like behavior and can be used in combination with the Heaviside function to solve more complex problems.