Laplace transform of sin(2t)cos(2t)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Laplace transform of f(t) = sin(2t)cos(2t) using a trig identity. The double-angle formula for sin(2t) is mentioned, as well as the Laplace integral and integrating with respect to t. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to use the known Laplace transform for sin(at).
JJBladester
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the Laplace transform of

f(t) = sin(2t)cos(2t)

using a trig identity.

Homework Equations

N/A.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the double-angle formula sin(2t) = 2sin(t)cos(t) but that's not helping much. Can you give me some advice on how to proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider that

[tex]\sin{(4t)}=2\sin{(2t)}\cos{(2t)}[/tex]

jeffreydk said:
Consider that

Okay, then [tex]\sin{(2t)}\cos{(2t)} = 1/2\sin{(t)}\cos{(t)}[/tex]

The Laplace integral is then:

[tex]1/2\int{e^{-st}\sin{(t)}\cos{(t)}}dt[/tex]

So where do I go from here to solve this? The [tex]e^{-st}[/tex] is throwing me off, otherwise I'd just do a u substitution with [tex]u = \sin{(t)}[/tex] and [tex]du = \cos{(t)}dt[/tex].

Well if you have that

then

[tex]\sin{(2t)}\cos{(2t)}=\frac{1}{2}\sin{(4t)}[/tex]

So then if you want to do it from the integral you just need to integrate

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}\frac{1}{2}\sin{(4t)}e^{-st}dt[/tex]

where the [itex]s[/itex] you treat as a constant (you're integrating with respect to [itex]t[/itex]). But you could just use the known laplace transform for [itex]\sin{(at)}[/itex] unless you are meaning to derive it.

Ahhhh lights coming on. Thanks for the help!

Ah good--glad to help.

1. What is the Laplace transform of sin(2t)cos(2t)?

The Laplace transform of sin(2t)cos(2t) is 1/(s^2 + 4), where s is the Laplace variable. This can be derived using the trigonometric identity sin(2t)cos(2t) = (1/2)sin(4t).

2. How is the Laplace transform of sin(2t)cos(2t) calculated?

The Laplace transform of sin(2t)cos(2t) is calculated using the definition of the Laplace transform, which involves taking the integral of the function multiplied by e^(-st) from 0 to infinity. This integral can be solved using integration by parts or by using tables of Laplace transforms.

3. What is the significance of the Laplace transform of sin(2t)cos(2t)?

The Laplace transform of sin(2t)cos(2t) is useful in solving differential equations involving sine and cosine functions. It can also be used in the analysis of electric circuits and signal processing.

4. Can the Laplace transform of sin(2t)cos(2t) be simplified?

Yes, the Laplace transform of sin(2t)cos(2t) can be simplified using trigonometric identities to 1/(s^2 + 4). It can also be represented as (1/4) * (1/s^2 + 4) using partial fractions.

5. Are there any other methods for calculating the Laplace transform of sin(2t)cos(2t)?

Yes, there are alternative methods for calculating the Laplace transform of sin(2t)cos(2t) such as using the convolution theorem, which involves convolving the Laplace transform of sin(2t) with the Laplace transform of cos(2t). Another method is using Laplace transform tables or software programs to directly find the transform.