1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace Transform solution for 2nd order differential equation

1. May 11, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

d^2x/dt^2 - 3 dx/dt + 2x= 2e^3t

give that at t=0, x=5, and dx/dt=7

2. Relevant equations
    i cant figure out how to derive the values of A, B, and C from the attempted equation solution. please help me out here. thanks

3. The attempt at a solution
    21enp00.jpg
    bi5qpz.jpg
    2iazrpy.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've got three simultaneous equations in three unknowns, A, B, and C.

You can use elimination, Cramer's rule, guessing, whatever to solve for A, B, and C.

You've done good work up to this point. I'm surprised this point has stumped you.

4. May 11, 2014 #3
    thanks alot steamKing you are being a big help, i went through cramer's rule examples and i think its gonna solve my problem, i am gonna try it now. plus i will learn some thing new :). i really appreciate your help. once again thanks

5. May 11, 2014 #4
    jf7s6f.jpg
    2eygxti.jpg

SteamKing can you have a look to the final answer. thanks

6. May 11, 2014 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For the second and third equations in your original system, for some reason you have the coefficients of A and C switched around.

Check your arithmetic in calculating the coefficients from the steps above that point, specifically where you let s = 0. Is the product of two negative numbers another negative number?

7. May 11, 2014 #6
    are you talking about equation 2, and eq 3 in the beginning?
    and s=0 was just a supposition and the arithmetic below isn't part of the question which i realize now the product of two negative numbers should be positive not negative.

8. May 11, 2014 #7

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. It appeared from your work that the calculations where s = 0 is where you started to calculate the coefficients of A, B, and C.

9. May 11, 2014 #8
    thanks alot for your time and efforts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted