Laplace transform - step function

In summary, to find the Laplace transform of f(t), we can first shift the step function u(t) to the right by 1 to get u1(t). Then, we can use the Laplace transform formula to integrate u1(t) from 0 to infinity, which will give us the Laplace transform of f(t).
Pi Face

Homework Statement

f(t)= 1 if 0≤t≤1 ; 0 is t>1
find the laplace transform

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know u(t)= 0 for t<0 and 1 for t≥0

I know I have to shift it and get
u_a(t)=u(t-a)= 1 if 0≤t≤a, 0 if a>1

am I even going the right way?
then I think I integrate it from 0 to inf with
∫e^(-st)u_a(t) dt = ?

not sure what to do from here

Physics news on Phys.org
Pi Face said:
[I know I have to shift it and get
u_a(t)=u(t-a)= 1 if 0≤t≤a, 0 if a>1
What?

I thought there was a step involving replacing the discontinuous point with a

There is, but your description doesn't make sense. When is ua(t) equal to 0 and when is it equal to 1?

f(t) is 0 when t>1 and 1 when it is between 0 and 1, inclusive.

so for ua(t) wouldn't I just replace the 1 with a?

I'm not following what you're getting at. Replace what 1 with a?

You replace the discontinuous point with a right? Which happens to be one in this problem because it has a value of 0 whe greater than 1 and a value of 1 when between 0 and 1. So the discontinuous point would be at 1? Which you replace with a?

You have it backwards. You don't replace 1 with a. You set a to 1, i.e., u1(t) = u(t-1). That's the step function shifted to the right by 1.
$$u_1(t) = u(t-1) = \begin{cases}
0 & t<1 \\
1 & t\ge 1
\end{cases}$$

What is the Laplace transform of a step function?

The Laplace transform of a step function is a mathematical operation that transforms a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is defined as the integral of the function multiplied by the exponential function e-st, where s is a complex number. In the case of a step function, the Laplace transform is given by 1/s.

What is the significance of using a step function in Laplace transforms?

Step functions are commonly used in Laplace transforms because they represent a sudden change in a function's behavior at a specific time. This is useful in many applications, such as in electrical circuits where a sudden input or change in voltage occurs.

How do you find the Laplace transform of a step function with a different initial value?

The Laplace transform of a step function with a different initial value can be found by using a property called the shifting property. This states that the Laplace transform of a function that has been shifted by a constant value c is equal to e-cs times the Laplace transform of the original function. So, for a step function with an initial value of a, the Laplace transform would be given by e-as/s.

What is the inverse Laplace transform of a step function?

The inverse Laplace transform of a step function is the original function itself. This can be seen by using the definition of the Laplace transform and taking the limit as s approaches infinity (since the Laplace transform of a step function is 1/s, and 1/s approaches 0 as s approaches infinity). Therefore, the inverse Laplace transform of a step function is simply the step function itself.

How is the Laplace transform of a step function used in practical applications?

The Laplace transform of a step function is used in many practical applications, such as in signal processing, control systems, and differential equations. It allows us to analyze and solve problems that involve sudden changes in a system's behavior, making it a powerful tool in engineering and science.