Laplace transform: where am I messing up?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Laplace transforms to find the function f(t) = sin(t) with given limits. The speaker realizes their mistake in evaluating the limits for cos(t) and sin(t) and acknowledges that the Laplace transform for sin(t) should be 1/(s^2+1).
faust9
Ok, using the definition of Laplace transforms to find [itex]\L\{f(t)\}[/itex]

Given:
[tex]f(t)=\{^{\sin{t}, 0\le{t}<{\pi}}_{0, t\ge{\pi}}[/tex]

So, this is what I did:

[tex]\L\{\sin t\}=\int^{\pi}_{0} e^{-st}\sin t dt+\int^{\infty}_{\pi} e^{-st}(0)dt[/tex]

[tex]=\int^{\pi}_{0} e^{-st}\sin t dt[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{-e^{-st}\sin{t}}{s}]^{\pi}_{0}+\frac{1}{s}\int^{\pi}_{0} e^{-st}\cos t dt[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{-e^{-st}\sin{t}}{s}]^{\pi}_{0}+\frac{1}{s}(\frac{-e^{-st}\cos{t}}{s}]^{\pi}_{0}-\frac{1}{s}\int^{\pi}_{0} e^{-st}\sin t dt)[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{-se^{-s\pi}}{s^2}+\frac{1}{s}(\frac{-1}{s}-\frac{1}{s}\L\{\sin t\})[/tex]

[tex]\L\{\sin t\}(\frac {s^2+1}{s^2})=\frac{-se^{-s\pi}}{s^2}-\frac{1}{s^2}[/tex]

[tex]\L\{\sin t\}=\frac {-se^{-s\pi}-1}{s^2+1}[/tex]

Which I know is wrong because the Laplace for sin t should be:

[tex]\L\{\sin t\}=\frac {1}{s^2+1}[/tex]

I know my limits of integration will affect the problem but the restricted limits should only add a term to the numerator [itex]e^{-s\pi}[/itex] I believe.

Where did I mess up?

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your mistake is in the 5.line, in the evaluation of cos(t) at the limits indicated.

Last edited:
Also, the sin(t) evaluation in the 5.line should be zero.

Got it. Thanks. How silly of me.

1. What is a Laplace transform?

A Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used to transform a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. It is often used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations.

2. How is a Laplace transform different from a Fourier transform?

While both transforms are used to convert a function from the time domain to the frequency domain, the Laplace transform also takes into account the initial conditions of the function. This makes it more suitable for solving differential equations.

3. What are the benefits of using a Laplace transform?

One of the main benefits of using a Laplace transform is that it simplifies differential equations, often reducing them to algebraic equations that are easier to solve. It also allows for the analysis of systems in the frequency domain, which can provide useful insights for engineers and scientists.

4. What are some common mistakes made when using Laplace transforms?

One common mistake is using the wrong transformation formula for the given function. It is important to carefully select the appropriate formula based on the function and its initial conditions. Another mistake is not accounting for the region of convergence, which can lead to incorrect results.

5. How can I improve my understanding and usage of Laplace transforms?

Practicing and solving a variety of problems involving Laplace transforms can help improve understanding and usage. Additionally, seeking guidance from textbooks, online resources, or a mentor can provide further clarification and tips for avoiding common mistakes.