1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace's Equation Boundary Problem

1. Aug 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a two part question, the first part involves solving Laplace's equation

[tex]
    u_{xx} + u_{yy} = 0
    [/tex]

for the boundary conditions
    [tex]
    u_x(0,y) = u_x(2,y) = 0
    [/tex]

[tex]
    u(x,0) = 0
    [/tex]

[tex]
    u(x,1) = \sin(\pi x)
    [/tex]
    for
    [tex]0 < x < 2, 0 < y < 1[/tex].

The second part now states a new boundary problem for the same equation, involving the square area defined on [tex]0 < x < 1, 0 < y < 1[/tex]. This time we have
    [tex]
    u_x(0,y) = u(1,y) = 0
    [/tex]

[tex]
    u(x,0) = 0
    [/tex]

[tex]
    u(x,1) = 2\sin(\pi x)
    [/tex]
    The question asks me to use the solution from the first boundary problem to solve this problem directly (using a theorem/principle).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have solved the first part using the standard method of separation of variables but I'm rather puzzled as to what this mystery theorem/principle is that can allow me to take my solution from the first problem and apply it directly to the second boundary problem :frown:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since the first problem has x between 0 and 2 and the second has x between 0 and 1, what would happen if you replaced the "x" in the first solution by "2x"?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?