1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace's Equation in Cylindrical Coordinates (Potential)

1. Oct 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A hollow cylinder with radius ##a## and height ##L## has its base and sides kept at a null potential and the lid on top kept at a potential ##u_0##. Find ##u(r,\phi,z)##.

2. Relevant equations

Laplace's equation in cylindrical coordinates:
    [tex] \nabla^2u=\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial{}r}\left(r\frac{\partial{}u}{\partial{}r}\right)+\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial\phi^2}+\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial{}z^2}=0 [/tex]
    Boundary conditions (specific to this problem):
    [tex]\begin{eqnarray}
    u(r,\phi,0)=0\text{ for }0≤r≤a \\
    u(a,\phi,z)=0\text{ for }0≤z≤L \\
    u(r,\phi,L)=u_0\text{ for }0≤r≤a
    \end{eqnarray}[/tex]
    3. The attempt at a solution

After substituting ##u=R(r)\Phi(\phi)Z(z)## and dividing the equation by ##R(r)\Phi(\phi)Z(z)## we get
    [tex] \frac{1}{rR(r)}\frac{d}{dr}(rR'(r))+\frac{1}{r^2\Phi(\phi)}\Phi''(\phi)+\frac{1}{Z(z)}Z''(z)=0. [/tex]
    Since the ##z## term is isolated we can set it to a constant ##k^2## to get ##Z(z)=Ae^{kz}+Be^{−kz}##. Then we multiply through by ##r^2## and isolate the ##\phi## term and set it to a constant ##-m^2## to get ##\Phi(\phi)=C\cos(m\phi)+D\sin(m\phi)##. The original equation now looks like
    [tex] \frac{r}{R(r)}\frac{d}{dr}(rR'(r))-m^2+(rk)^2=r\frac{d}{dr}(rR'(r))+[(rk)^2-m^2]R(r)=0, [/tex]
    where we can substitute ##y=rk## to get
    [tex] y^2R''(y)+yR'(y)+[y^2-m^2]R(r)=0, [/tex]
    the Bessel equation.

How do I use the boundary conditions to move forward from here? What does the format of the answer I am looking for looks like?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The last one should be equal to ##u_0##, not 0.

You should also have ##u(r,\phi,z) = u(r,\phi+2\pi,z)## because you want u to be single-valued. This imposes a constraint on the allowed values of ##m##.

Take the condition that the base is held at 0. That requires Z(0)=0 since it has to hold for all values of ##r## and ##\phi##. What does this tell you about A and B?

Take the condition that the side is held at 0. The requires that R(a)=0. What can you infer from this about the allowed values of ##k##?

4. Oct 14, 2014 #3
    Thanks! Already fixed the typo.
    Could you expand on that?
    The condition ##Z(0)=0## implies that ##A=-B##, right?. Do I use ##R(a)=0## before ##Z(L)=u_0##? And does that mean that I would have to solve Bessel's equation to completely solve this problem?

5. Oct 14, 2014 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

If you increase ##\phi## by ##2\pi##, you've gone around the cylinder once and end up back in the same spot. You can't have two different values of ##u## for the same point.

Yes, so ##Z(z) = A(e^{kr}-e^{-kr}) = A'\sinh kr##.

You can't say that ##Z(L)=u_0##. You can only say ##u(r,\phi,L)=u_0##.

I'd expect you can just say that each R is a Bessel function without having to derive that result over again.

6. Oct 14, 2014 #5
    I don't see how I am supposed to use ##R(a)=0## to move forward.. What am I supposed to be doing at this point?

7. Oct 14, 2014 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What are the solutions for ##R## in terms of the constants ##m## and ##k##?

8. Oct 14, 2014 #7
    I still don't see what the next step is.. How do I keep solving the problem from here?
    I'm not sure.. Are you talking about
    [tex] R(r)=\sum_{n=0}^\infty{}b_n(rk)^{n+m}, [/tex]
    the solution for the Bessel equation? Which would mean that
    [tex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty{}b_n(ak)^{n+m}=0. [/tex]
    Is that what I am supposed to do? Where do I go from here?

9. Oct 14, 2014 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I don't understand where you got that expression for R from.

10. Oct 14, 2014 #9
    I used the Frobenius method on ##R##, which gives the answer as a power series of that form. But I honestly don't know what the next step is, after I found ##Z(z)=A(e^{kz}-e^{-kz})## I don't know what to do.

11. Oct 14, 2014 #10

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

At this point, I think you need to go over a similar example in your textbook and get an understanding of the logic behind each step.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted