Laplace's equation inside a circular annulus

In summary, the homework equations show that a sinusoidal function can be written as a sum of sin and cosine terms, with the cosine term being periodic in pi. However, the sinusoidal function is not periodic in pi.
temaire

Homework Statement

1eoviw.png

Homework Equations

General solution:
1z23h4z.png

Fourier series:
2md14k1.png

where [itex]r_{1}=a[/itex], [itex]r_{2}=b[/itex], [itex]f_{1}(\theta)=sin(\theta)[/itex], and [itex]f_{2}(\theta)=2sin(\theta)cos(\theta)[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

By evaluating the Fourier series shown above, I determined that [itex]a_{o}=b_{o}=a_{n}=b_{n}=c_{n}=d_{n}=0[/itex].

Is this correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, no. You could guess that for yourself because that would mean the answer is identically 0, which is not awfully likely for the diff eq is it?

I looked at ##\int_0^{2\pi}sin\theta cos{n \theta}d\theta ## . The best way to evaluate it is to express both the sin and cos in exponential form: ##sinx = \frac{e^x-e^{-x}}{2i}## and similarly for the cosnx. Multiply it all out and regroup your terms. You'll have a sin and a cosh. The former is periodic in ##\pi## the latter is not.

Do try again.

brmath said:
Well, no. You could guess that for yourself because that would mean the answer is identically 0, which is not awfully likely for the diff eq is it?

I looked at ##\int_0^{2\pi}sin\theta cos{n \theta}d\theta ## . The best way to evaluate it is to express both the sin and cos in exponential form: ##sinx = \frac{e^x-e^{-x}}{2i}## and similarly for the cosnx. Multiply it all out and regroup your terms. You'll have a sin and a cosh. The former is periodic in ##\pi## the latter is not.

Do try again.

I evaluated the integral you mentioned after expressing both the sin and cos in exponential form as follows:

263ygd0.png

Isn't this still periodic in [itex]\pi[/itex]?

How about ##2 \sin \theta \cos n \theta = \sin ((n+1)\theta) - \sin ((n-1) \theta)##?

haruspex said:
How about ##2 \sin \theta \cos n \theta = \sin ((n+1)\theta) - \sin ((n-1) \theta)##?

Isn't that still always going to be zero at all n, where n is an integer and can't equal +-1, after integrating?

temaire said:
I evaluated the integral you mentioned after expressing both the sin and cos in exponential form as follows:

263ygd0.png

Isn't this still periodic in [itex]\pi[/itex]?

Here's what I have:

##sinx \cdot cos(nx)##= ##\frac{1}{4i}[(e^{ix}-e^{-ix}) \cdot (e^{inx}+e^{-inx})] ## = ##\frac{1}{4i}[(e^{i(n+1)x} - e^{-i(n+1)x}) + (e^{(n+1)x} - e^{-(n+1)x})]##

Integrating up the last expression and evaluating at 0 and ##2\pi ## gives

## \frac{1}{4(n+1)i}(e^{2(n+1)\pi} + e^{-2(n+1)\pi}) ##

This is not zero.

Try to be very careful when you do your integration.. Also, note that the product of two periodic functions is periodic, but not necessarily in the period of either.

temaire said:
Isn't that still always going to be zero at all n, where n is an integer and can't equal +-1, after integrating?
Quite so, so maybe something else is wrong. But it's much easier than writing out all those exponentials.

brmath said:
Here's what I have:

##sinx \cdot cos(nx)##= ##\frac{1}{4i}[(e^{ix}-e^{-ix}) \cdot (e^{inx}+e^{-inx})] ## = ##\frac{1}{4i}[(e^{i(n+1)x} - e^{-i(n+1)x}) + (e^{(n+1)x} - e^{-(n+1)x})]##
Not right. You should get some n-1 terms.

haruspex said:
Not right. You should get some n-1 terms.

You are right, and I'm the one who should be careful about integrals. I do not know by what slip of the mind I lost the i's in the exponents. The other integral is 0 also.

So temaire is right, they are all 0, unless ##r_1 = r_2## (which isn't really an annulus,but whatever).

What is Laplace's equation inside a circular annulus?

Laplace's equation is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of an electric potential or fluid flow inside a circular annulus. It is a fundamental equation in physics and engineering that is used to model problems in electrostatics, heat transfer, and fluid mechanics.

What are the boundary conditions for Laplace's equation inside a circular annulus?

The boundary conditions for Laplace's equation inside a circular annulus depend on the specific problem being modeled. In general, there are two types of boundary conditions: Dirichlet boundary conditions, which specify the value of the potential or flow at the boundaries, and Neumann boundary conditions, which specify the derivative of the potential or flow at the boundaries.

How is Laplace's equation inside a circular annulus solved?

Laplace's equation inside a circular annulus can be solved using various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables, finite difference methods, or complex analysis. The specific method used will depend on the boundary conditions and the complexity of the problem.

What are some applications of Laplace's equation inside a circular annulus?

Laplace's equation inside a circular annulus has many practical applications in science and engineering. It is used to model problems in electrostatics, such as the behavior of charged particles in a circular annulus, and in fluid mechanics, such as the flow of air around a circular cylinder. It is also used in heat transfer problems, such as the temperature distribution inside a circular annulus.

What are the limitations of Laplace's equation inside a circular annulus?

While Laplace's equation is a powerful tool for modeling physical systems, it has some limitations. It assumes that the material properties and boundary conditions are constant, and it cannot account for time-dependent or nonlinear effects. In some cases, more complex equations, such as the Navier-Stokes equations, may be needed to accurately model the behavior of a system.