Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laptop performance and noise problems

1. Nov 19, 2007 #1
    Just a couple of weeks ago, my laptop started making a very loud roaring noise and experienced a severe slowdown in performance (programs and windows open very slowly) at the same time. It takes a couple minutes after booting up for the noise to begin, but once it starts it is continuous. At this point, I am thinking it is either one of the cooling fans or the hard drive. Is it possible that problems with the fans could cause a performance slowdown? But if it's the hard drive, is it possible for it to produce a constant roaring fanlike noise?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd first go after the fans. Or at least that's a problem have encountered a couple of times in the past with "higher performance" laptops with similar symptoms (have had to replace fans a number of times). If it overheats can result in a slowdown, and would probably run fan diagnostics to see if they find anything (can you boot it to a diagnostic mode, did it come with a boot CD with diagnostics or does the manufacturer offer a diagnostic image to burn / or a related utility in other form at their website....).

Sure running compressed air through the fans may be a good idea as well (I had one laptop where the fans were somehow "tilted" to begin with and after a while it started to "roar" , and couple of other cases where they've developed similar issues with time. Actually only one which got stuck without making a huge noise in the process). If the voice is "really loud" (+the slowdown) would say it's the fan(s) over HDD. The diagnostics run the fan at differing speeds and if the full speed (for example) is seriously lacking it's a good indication something is wrong.
  4. Nov 19, 2007 #3
    Is it a higher-pitched whine? Because of the high rotational speeds (4,500-5,400rpm) the bearings usually make noise in the upper register when they're going out, but that doesn't necessarily rule out the hard drive. The fact that there is a performance slowdown makes me think it could be a clogged fan or one with shot bearings.

Remove the underside panel that houses the cpu and fan. See if you notice any obstructions.
  5. Dec 6, 2007 #4
    the problem mostly deals with the fan, you should send it to the store or service center to open it and clean it.
    I have the same problem too, but i did it myself.
  6. Dec 6, 2007 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, overheating can lead to poor performance. Modern processors monitor their own temperatures and reduce their clock speeds when they begin overheating.

- Warren
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?